Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't delete my sub-module

Lester Bloom December 18, 2018

Hello,

I accidentally created my submodule at the wrong location. I want to delete it and re-add it correctly. However, I can't figure out how to delete it.

Capture.PNG

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lester Bloom January 8, 2019

For anyone else coming by later, I ended up finding this ...

"Since git 1.8.5, git mv old/submod new/submod works as expected and does all the plumbing for you. You might want to use git 1.9.3 or newer, because it includes fixes for submodule moving."

via https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4604486/how-do-i-move-an-existing-git-submodule-within-a-git-repository

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2018

Hi Lester,

The best way to completely remove a submodule would be using the command line, you can follow the steps:

1. Delete the relevant section from the .gitmodules file.
  2. Stage the .gitmodules changes git add .gitmodules
  3. Delete the relevant section from .git/config.
  4. Run git rm --cached path_to_submodule (no trailing slash).
  5. Run rm -rf .git/modules/path_to_submodule
  6. Commit git commit -m "Removed submodule <name>"
  7. Delete the now untracked submodule files
    rm -rf path_to_submodule

You can also find different approaches in this thread.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Lester Bloom December 19, 2018

Hi @Ana Retamal,

I have a couple follow up questions.

1) My real issue is that I added the submodule to the incorrect path. I was planning on deleting the submodule and then re-creating it. Is it instead possible to move the submodule? I noticed the paths in the .gitmodules; can I edit those? (FYI, I tried this before asking and it didn't work, but maybe I am doing something wrong)

2) I have multiple submodules, and after editing the .gitmodules file, by hand, all my other submodules disappear from sourcetree. Is that expected behavior? I have not completed your steps because I wanted to wait for an answer to this before proceeding too far.

Thank you for the help
Lester

Lester Bloom December 26, 2018

Hi @Ana Retamal,

I was wondering if you had any info regarding those follow up questions I posted above? I have still held off from continuing the process, because I am not entirely sure if #2 is going to cause more trouble for me or not.

Thank you
Lester

Lester Bloom January 7, 2019

Hi @Ana Retamal,

I apologize for the repeated pings. I speculate that maybe this was lost over the holiday breaks. I am having issues with your instructions, and had some follow up questions.

1) My real issue is that I added the submodule to the incorrect path. I was planning on deleting the submodule and then re-creating it. Is it instead possible to move the submodule? I noticed the paths in the .gitmodules; can I edit those? (FYI, I tried this before asking and it didn't work, but maybe I am doing something wrong)

2) I have multiple submodules, and after editing the .gitmodules file, by hand, all my other submodules disappear from sourcetree. Is that expected behavior? I have not completed your steps because I wanted to wait for an answer to this before proceeding too far.

Thank you for the assistance
Lester

Brandon Valley May 23, 2020

if you use git mv -k you can move whole directories that contain multiple git submodules

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events