I am having trouble while pulling

Hi,

I am using SourceTree on Windows 8.1. Last tile when I tried to pull a repo it broke after downloading around 200 MB of data. Then I copied the source to hard drive and pointed the folder as Working Copy.

I work in two different PCs. The other PC has Win 7 untimate where pulling and pushing work fine. Last night I pushed some changes from Win 7 PC and now trying to pull the changes from my Win 8.1 PC. When pulling I can only see the wheel spinning for indefinite time. I clicked on OK and got the message "Downloading changesets. Please wait...", but nothing seems to be happening (or may be something is happening but I don't know !)

Is it trying to pull the entire repo again?? If yes, why? I already have a working copy pointed.

Please help! I am stuck badly and need this to be resolved asap as I am running out of time :(

The repo is a Mercurial.

Regards,
Subrata Sarkar

1 answer

Both Git and Mercurial are fundamentally different from centralized systems (Git, SVN) in that they operate by cloning an entire repository (including the full history of the branches you've requested, but not necessarily all remote branches).

If your repository is large and/or your internet connection is slow, it may take a long time to clone everything.

But you're in luck! Since you ALREADY have the repository on your Windows 7 machine, the fastest solution is going to be to copy that repository to your Windows 8 (just using a direct network connection or removable storage), then add that repository to SourceTree on Windows 8.1. Make sure to include the hidden .git folder.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

273 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot