Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Sourcetree
  • Questions
  • How to fix this SourceTree error - "fatal: 'submodule' appears to be a git command, but we were not able to execute it. Maybe git-submodule is broken?" on Windows 7?

How to fix this SourceTree error - "fatal: 'submodule' appears to be a git command, but we were not able to execute it. Maybe git-submodule is broken?" on Windows 7?

Saud
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 12, 2015

I have SourceTree (v1.16.14.0) installed on a Windows 7 OS. 

When I try to clone a repo from Stash, I get the following error - 

image2015-3-12 12:58:54.png

I have tried switching from Embedded-Git to System-Git but receive the same error.

Any help/direction is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Saud.

2 answers

1 vote
xerx593
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2015

I am not sure about the exact reason/connection, but I could overcome the same issue by launching source tree "as Adminstrator".

Hope it helps you, too.

Regards, Alex

jamesxv7
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 24, 2015

Just to confirm. I was experience the same issue. Running SourceTree “as Administrator” resolve the problem.

0 votes
Matt Klassen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 13, 2015

I'm having a similar issue with "Pull" and "Stash".  I'm on Win7 too and I just installed the latest update of SourceTree this morning (now at 1.6.16.0), but I still can't pull using SourceTree:

image2015-7-13 11:38:39.png

Incidentally, CLI git pull works just fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events