Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I undo a change that was committed locally and pushed to the server?

Richard Wooley October 16, 2015

I performed a manual merge recently.  The merge was committed and pushed to the server, but now we've found a major problem with it.  (The problem file is the storyboard and manually undo-ing the changes will not be trivial.)

Is there a simple way to undo the change on the server and then pull the clean code back to my machine?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2015

The safest way to do this is to right-click the bad commit, and choose "reverse commit". This will create a new commit that performs the opposite changes compared to the one you selected to reverse.

Commit the reversed changes (if SourceTree doesn't commit automatically), and push to the remote.

Git also allows you to re-write the history to remove that commit from the branch entirely, but this is generally considered bad practice because it can cause problems for the local repositories of other team members.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events