Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fetch a tracked remote branch that is not checked out from the GUI.

Richard Smith February 18, 2014

Basically, how do I issue this command from the GUI:

git fetch <remote> <rbranch>:<lbranch>

I would like to be able to right click on a local branch that is tracking a remote branch and click "fetch".

Am I missing something obvious?

6 answers

0 votes

So then, there is no GUI equivalent to:

git fetch origin FLASHID_Branch:FLASHID_Branch

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2014

For me, if I hit the fetch button at the top, it updates information from remotes for all of my branches. Are you specifically wanting to exclude some branches from the fetch?

For these changes I don't really need to exclude some branches. I could see needing that in the future.

Also, the fetch button on the top doesn't work for me. The command completes. The full output says "Completed successfully" but afterwards it still shows that I am 1 commit behind, both in the indicator next to the local branch name and the history graph display.

I ended up launching the git terminal and typing in the command and the fetch works fine. That's what led me to the question "can I specifically fetch one branches changes from the GUI".

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2014

Ahh. That's not a fetch, that's a pull. And you do need to check out the branch to pull in remote changes.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2014

To be more detailed here, the SourceTree behind/ahead status is comparing local branches to remote branches. The fetch will make a local copy of the remote branch, but does not modify the local branch.

0 votes

Sorry, I missed the last part of your question. I have a local repo with two local branches that are tracking to remote branches. When the branch that I do not have checked out shows an available commit on the remote branch, I'd like to be able to right click on the local branch and fetch the changes:

I should also note that I am using the Windows version.

0 votes

When I click fetch on a menu that pops up when I right click on a local branch, I'd like the GUI to issue the command I included in the first post. The application has all the information needed when the local branch is tracking a remote.

0 votes

When I click fetch on a menu that pops up when I right click on a local branch, I'd like the GUI to issue the command I included in the first post. The application has all the information needed when the local branch is tracking a remote.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2014

What do you want to happen when you click fetch?

In other words, what are you expecting to change in the UI following a fetch command?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events