Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use SourceTree from the command line to browse the differences between two commits

Alan Laird February 19, 2014

Hi,

I would like to do something like this:

open -a SourceTree puppetlabs-apache 8340107...97b5594ffd3b7fec169f807d3dee07cb094982a5

Thanks!

Alan

4 answers

2 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

If you want to use the command line, you should just use the git client. SourceTree is just a UI wrapper to a git command line client anyway.

git diff 8340107 97b5594ffd3b7fec169f807d3dee07cb094982a5

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-diff.html

HocoH June 28, 2018

" SourceTree is just a UI wrapper to a git command line client anyway" : yep you made my day

Like sabz20005 likes this
Rebecca Keller December 12, 2018

Disagree big time.  Contrast gitextensions which provides a number of command-line entry points to it's gui.  I can bring up it's merge tool, invoke graphical blame, log of a specific file, etc, all from command line.  ditto TortoiseGit.

I'm overwhelmingly primarily a commandline dev but I don't want to view a blame via commandline, but it's usually easier for me to specify a path on the commandline

looks like sourcetree.exe /? provides some help, and there's a few commands status, log, filelog, commit, but it's pretty bare compared to gitextensions or tortoise

1 vote
Alan Laird February 21, 2014

Hi Seth,

I don't understand your question. I'm trying to determine if I can invoke sourcetree from the command line and browse the changes between two commits. I do this currently with git on the command line but it's really tedious when you have an active project with a lot of committers.

A good example of this is when you are browsing down commits and you see a file diff and you would like to step sideways through changes on that file with log display.

Alan

0 votes
Marnen Laibow-Koser June 18, 2014

GitX has a feature like this: you can do

gitx --diff <arguments to git diff>

and see the diff nicely formatted. SourceTree should have a similar command.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2014

As far as I know, SourceTree is exclusively GUI. The only commands it provides are alternate ways to launch the GUI.

Marnen Laibow-Koser June 18, 2014
I should have been clearer. The GitX command above opens the diff *in the GUI*, and I would expect any similar SourceTree command to so likewise.
0 votes
Alan Laird February 20, 2014

I'd like be able to browse an active project between releases to see changes and the commit logs for each change. 'git diff branch..branch' is very file oriented. I will do a 'git diff --name-status branch1..branch1' sometimes.

I do this as well...

git config --global alias.lg "log --color --graph --pretty=format:'%Cred%h%Creset -%C(yellow)%d%Creset %s %Cgreen(%cr) %C(bold blue)<%an>%Creset' --abbrev-commit"

git lg -p branch1..branch2 and it's pretty good looking but it's not very usable on large numbers of changes.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2014

So what differences would you expect in a SourceTree diff?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events