Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone really think that the new UI was an improvement?

Viewing page 3 of 9

203 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Arjon Buikstra February 24, 2016

Heir heir, what an annoying superfluous change... And making it worse really should not be presented as an update with a whole new installer.

0 votes
Deleted user February 23, 2016

Agree. Nothing much to add to the above.

Is a UI rollback possible?

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2016

Removing the statusbar makes it impossible to see on which branch you're on (when you have the branches collapsed in the treeview and if your not on Log/History view).

If the branches are collapsed within treeview, you have to expand all subfolders of branches to find which branch you're currently on (if your not on Log/History view)

What a crap that the bookmarklist does not highlight the currently opened repository - as there is also visible which branch the repositories are on - but as the current repository is not highlighted, you cannot easily see which branch you're on ...

I hate missing the status bar and the "unconnected" bookmark list (no highlighting of current repository) ...

0 votes
daniele-niero February 23, 2016

TreeView on Windows, a feature that has been asked for years with people being quite pushing to have it, is now removed!?

Why? 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-391

Go there and comment on this ticket? We waited more than 2 year to get that ticket done, I hope we don't have to wait other two. If many people comment maybe we can convince them to do something.
Tree views are a standard in any software, how come that SourceTree has so many problems with them?

0 votes
James Dengel February 23, 2016

I must add my voice to the masses here.

The new UI is just a mess, there is no contrast to anything at all.

The folders and repository view on the left hand side is just a mess of text, there is not enough of a visual difference to be able to distinguish between anything.

The buttons on the top row are lifeless, the designs of the icons might be cool but when the fetch pull and push are almost identical, it forces you to have to read the text, then the icon become pointless because you need to read it to be able to see what it does.

Also, why is text being centred on the read panel. It looks extremely awkward like this and not what I would expect.

SourceTree.PNG

I have yet to play with this for more than 5-10 minutes but so far I am now impressed with the design of the NEW improved sourcetree. 

Also has anyone else noticed that the GIT flow option in the menu takes a five or six seconds to loads ?

0 votes
Chris F February 23, 2016

Just installed 1.8 and my first response was WTF and not in the good way.

Flat colourless design is impossible to read. When there were colours on the menu I didn't need to think about where I needed to click, just went for the colour of my intended action.

Now I literally have to read every single menu item from left to right word by word to try and work out which is the one I need to click.

The flat, outline icon style too is unreadable too. Because it's just wire frames - every single icon looks the same as the other one. I really have to stop and stare to try and work out what it means.

Same thing with the tree-view on the left. Everything looks the same and I can't tell the difference between a branch, a tag and a folder.

With zero colour, everything on the whole interface moulds into a single colourless blob - no differentiation between elements.

0 votes
Alan Best February 23, 2016

I always try to take UI changes with a grain of salt. There's always a backlash when you change UI in programs people use for non-recreational/social purposes. They're using them to accomplish a task and they don't generally appreciate changes that slow down their workflow.

That said, I don't appreciate the new changes. Most of the colors were removed and make it a lot harder to read. The ones that were kept were conversely made brighter and more annoying (like the modified file icon went from a golden circle to a bright yellow box that's hard to really differentiate between the merge conflict light-orange triangle). The status pane on the left side is hard to read now because it's all various grey/black silhouettes that all merge together.

I probably would just motor through the changes, but I ran into 3 major bugs in the span of about 20 minutes using it. I'm saddened that this was released as a production release. I think it would help if there was a beta test release channel for whoever is brave enough to want to try it; because clearly there wasn't a huge amount of real-world testing before this was released. I rolled back both my windows and OS X versions. I'm not sure what Atlassian will need to do to entice me to move forward, but I'll need to see some serious indication that they've tested this and the community has accepted it.

0 votes
James Fedor February 23, 2016

The new UI is a train wreck, please give us the option to bring the old skin back at a minimum.

0 votes
Jake Montgomery February 23, 2016

Please bring back the old colored UI, or at least support it as an option. My eye no longer has an anchor with everything blending into 1 grey mass, so it takes me that much longer to find the right one ... we are developers, so its about being usable and efficient, not cool looking.

0 votes
Jason Domizio February 23, 2016

The new UI is extremely difficult to parse.  Discarding colors for the icons was a usability mistake.

0 votes
Hank Schultz February 23, 2016

Installed 1.8.2, saw the horrible mess that is the new GUI, and promptly downgraded back to 1.7.  All of the depth of the program that made it easy on the eyes was removed, and it was made completely flat.  We have color monitors for a reason.  Use color.

0 votes
dodonew February 22, 2016

In 1.8.2 search box still doesn't work for me in case of filtering diff. SRCTREEWIN-4298 is marked as resolved, but in Log/History tab it is still not working. Downgrading to 1.7 again.

0 votes
erikpodetti February 22, 2016

The new UI is very difficult to understand but the worst is that the product is very slow and unstable now. Crash frequently everytime for different reasons or no reasons at all

0 votes
Xuân Huy Phạm February 22, 2016

Agree. 

The new UI is too bad. The latest update completely kills readability.

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2016

@Admin User We've re-added the GitFlow button in the new 1.8.2 release.

0 votes
Admin User February 22, 2016

This updated just made me revert back to 1.6.25 (again). I might try 1.7x - was gunshy of the licensing "for my convenience you have to re-license" statement in the release notes. Licensing changes are never for me - and almost never convenient smile 

But back on topic: Seriously - where did GitFlow go. The branch names, the no-contrast look which ensures you can't identify stuff at a glance, broken view switch/mode changes. etc. etc. 

Yuck.

0 votes
Lisias February 22, 2016

@michael.benz exercise your tolerance. intolerance against the intolerants are just another form of intolerance. Don't be one yourself.

By addressing who you consider an abuser, you enable him. He is an abuser by Christ's sake, being acknowledged of his success is, hardly,  a deterrent!

(and chances are that he is just a dark humor joker) 

0 votes
Martin Nope February 21, 2016

Whoever removed the color-coding of modified/added/removed/unknown should rethink it and reflect on their Human Computer Interaction 101 classes.. I need colors as a fast way to identify things..

0 votes
Michael Benz February 21, 2016

@Farliga Tankar - because of abusive and non-constructive comments like yours I have stopped watching this issue. Thank you for contributing.

0 votes
Ewen Wallace February 21, 2016

After using Smartgit for a while I thought I'd drop in and see how SourceTree is going while I've been away...oh, dear.

0 votes
SteveMellross February 20, 2016

Absolutely terrible. Downgraded to 1.7 (Windows) and looking for an alternative. If this was able to make it to the public I don't have any confidence in future decisions they are going to make for the product.

Apart from the terrible UI design I hate that in the diff window, if the code causes a horizontal scroll bar, it now scrolls the "Stage/Discard hunk/lines" buttons off the screen when before they would stay in place. And if you have a file selected in the "Staged files" area then select a file in the "Unstaged files" area, it still only displays the diff for the staged file.

0 votes
Simone Zorzetti February 20, 2016

Totally agree. I upgraded to 1.8, tried to use it for a day and then went back to 1.7. I even instructed my team not to upgrade.

0 votes
Roy Leban February 19, 2016

It looks like SourceTree 2.2 has been pulled back as the current download is 2.1. I switched back to it and it is working fine, which means (thankfully) there was no incompatible local data change.

A thought to the designers: There's an 8 pixel difference between the Push and Pull icons in an area that is about 1/4" square. How can you possibly think this is a good idea? Compare them with the very clear icons you had before. Monochrome and flat does not have to imply awful – in fact, it should be the opposite. And why get rid of the view icons? I don't see any sense to the UI changes here or in recent releases. 1.8 was better than any of these.

0 votes
Daniel Orner February 19, 2016

So either this was a) a release that went out by mistake before it was ready, or b) they realized how awful the backlash was and yanked it.

I didn't even bother starting to use it when I saw the new UI. The lack of contrast between headings and the things inside them on the left made my eyes water, and replacing the universal icons for "add" "remove" and "changed" with English letters was just plain bizarre. The menu at the top used to look cluttered, now it looked like a barren desert.

This is the second time in the last year or two this has happened. Luckily they fixed most of the issues of the last giant redesign with subsequent updates, so I'm hoping they can salvage this and show us what they were actually trying to accomplish.

Either way I think we deserve some kind of communication from Atlassian as to what exactly happened here and why.

0 votes
chinhodado February 19, 2016

The UI of 1.5.2 and back was so nice. Then 1.6 came, the UI was redesigned with too much meaningless whitespaces. 1.6 also brought about loads of bugs that are still unresolved such as unable to resize the diff view, or the diff view's size automatically resets. Now 1.8 came, another UI redesign with god knows how many new bugs. Does Atlassian ever learn?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events