Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone really think that the new UI was an improvement?

Viewing page 2 of 9

203 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
glinse_director February 16, 2016

The new user interface looks like a wireframe and not a final product.

The icons are terrible.

The tabs are extremely bad looking.

I really would like the option to have the old theme. Maybe you could let the user choose the old theme or this new flat theme. 

0 votes
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 20, 2018

I'm going to close this thread since it was originally started in 2016 and may be a little confusing -- but feel free to reopen a new thread to discuss new changes to the Sourcetree UI. 

Alex Gottschalk April 20, 2018

So will there be any action coming out of this thread on Atlassian's part?

Like Dave S_ likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 20, 2018

@Alex Gottschalk the Sourcetree team asked me to hold off on closing the thread so they could post a response. Then conversation can continue in a new thread. 

0 votes
m0rpheus April 5, 2018

0 votes
Eric Guerin April 3, 2018

The new interface is horrible, how did this get past QA?   The checkboxes don't have any meaning, when you check something, you expect them to do something with an ACTION event, such as Indexing them for commit, or selecting them for a Reset command, but no, those don't do anything, only the Selected item gets the Commit or Reset.

0 votes
Chris Hugenberger March 15, 2018

I can't stand the wasted use of screen space.

Up vote this ticket!  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69044

0 votes
Charles Robertson October 31, 2017

Can anyone tell me where the file status view totals have gone. To the right of the commit text area, to the left of the Atlassian logo. I used to use these totals to compare file numbers & status types between different repos?

Charles Robertson October 31, 2017

In fact, where has the logo gone? Maybe, Atlassian are trying to tell us something. They are ashamed to put their logo against this version of SourceTree;)

0 votes
Tomasz_Krymski October 11, 2017

Those new updates are terrible in terms of user experience (i use web conflu). I sent several feedback messages with no response, and now i cannot even revert to the old version now, which was far superior. I can start creating tickets to list things to be fixed, but it's just so much of this stuff, that i would be doing the job your designers and analysts should have done in the first place. Not to mention that it is slower every day. 

Daniel Do Binau October 11, 2017

Tomasz, your comment makes me extremely nervous. I and my entire team are using version 1.7 of SourceTree for Windows and it's an extremely valuable tool for us. We have no desire to switch to the massive cockup that is the newest version.
Exactly what error are you experiencing when trying to use the old version? Is it during installation, when registering your license, or something else?

Tomasz_Krymski October 11, 2017

I just realized, my rant is about confluence - but google took me here :)

Daniel Do Binau October 11, 2017

Ah, OK. Well I've never used Confluence, but I'm confident SourceTree takes the "Most useful product butchered beyond redemption by its own development team" award by a wide margin :-)

Hans Merkl October 11, 2017

"Most useful product butchered beyond redemption by its own development team"

That's what UI have been thinking too. Nicely phrased!

Lisias October 12, 2017

I couldn't had said it better.

Andrew Leckie November 20, 2017

Agree 100%

0 votes
Stefan Große May 6, 2017

Still current.

I recently purchased a new Mac and reinstalled everything. I am really shocked by the new UI, switched back to an older version.

0 votes
sergiyd May 8, 2016

After 5 minutes of use went back to the older version (2.0.5.8). Completely agree with all previous comments about terrible flat icons and UI.

0 votes
Virl March 11, 2016

Everyone, old version can be downloaded from http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_2.1.dmg — also it have coloured icons!

0 votes
Jesse Temple March 10, 2016

I like the new UI. But the hunk view was terrible and the app still crashed randomly while I used it.

I was alerted today via my support ticket that 1.8.2.11 was available. I just installed it and the hunk view is much better; more like 1.7.

The flat design is still there, but I never had a problem with that. I just need something that's fast and reliable.

0 votes
Jesse Temple February 26, 2016

I just downgraded to 1.7.0.32509. 1.8.2.2 is randomly crashing when I commit. Good thing I keep old versions laying around; you don't make the older versions easy to find on your site.

0 votes
ale casta February 25, 2016

Personally I don't like the new interface, I found the old one way more readable. But I must also admit that using habit can change things a lot: first 1.8 was terrible for me, now I'm getting used to changes so it's a bit better...

But:

Today I upgraded to 1.8.2.2 from 1.8.2:

• the program was again automatically pinned to taskbar, not matter that it wasn't prior to upgrade: I think an upgrade should change current setup as little as possible
  • there is an annoying error occurring every now and then, when a highlight an old commit a message pops up about some "repository not found"

Enough! I reverted back to 1.6.25, which was perfect for me. In doing so I discovered that I had 3 entries in control panel Programs and Features (1 per each 1.8.x upgrade). After uninstalling the most recent, all of them were still there. In the end i had to remove entries manually with CCleaner.

0 votes
C Monster February 25, 2016

And why do I have to connect to the internet to upgrade/install the software? It's already registered and now I can't use it. It's back to the good old, stable v1.5.2.

0 votes
Jesse Temple February 25, 2016

Git Flow button is back in the latest version.

0 votes
rsfinn February 25, 2016

As a Mac user, I have two quick notes about the new UI that would be easy to implement and would make a big difference:

• "Flat" wire-frame icons in the toolbar work as images on buttons, not as bare icons (compare e.g. Xcode, Preview, Safari);
  • the row height in the sidebar is too large compared to the size of the text (it was fine in the previous UI; see also e.g. Finder).

Also: I'm not currently using Git Flow but its removal from the toolbar seems inexplicable.

Reverting to 2.1 until some improvements are made.

0 votes
Paul Rogero February 25, 2016

+1 for additional color through the product. In the main toolbar for sure and additional color for the top level nodes in the tree view of file status would be appreciated as well. Also color coordinating branches in the tree view and the branch view would be helpful. Color makes it easier to skim, locate UI elements quickly, and to see relationships faster.

image2016-2-25 8:36:14.png

0 votes
Konstantin February 24, 2016

Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE went the same path shifting from icon to flat monochrome glyphs and eventually made some colorization to it. So now it looks good: flat colored (glyph like icons) what helps to differentiate them. I think Atalassian should do the same.

0 votes
chinhodado February 24, 2016

Another thing is, as seen in the above screenshot, there's no margin/padding around the line numbers on the left, so it looks ugly as hell.

0 votes
Ernest Liu February 24, 2016

+1 vote to reverting the icons. Seems all that should be said has been said in regards to them.

0 votes
Jesse Temple February 24, 2016

Oh, well that I can live with. That means it'll get fixed.

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2016

@Jesse Temple That's unfortunately a bug.

0 votes
James Dengel February 24, 2016

I agree completely, it looks horrific

0 votes
Jesse Temple February 24, 2016

Who decided to make the diff view show changes in blocks that are centered? This looks awful.

Image 002.png

Why not make the whole background white and align things on the left, just like it is in a real code editor?

0 votes
Daniel Do Binau February 24, 2016

Please everyone have a look (and upvote): https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/37042920

Charles Robertson April 3, 2018

Yes. And Atlassian had the cheek to send me an e-mail today, telling me what a wonderful year they had had, and would I like to watch the highlights. Clearly the Atlassian PR machine going into overdrive. 

Like Dave S_ likes this
Chris F April 3, 2018

That's the scary thing. They probably do think all the changes / "improvements" are wonderful.

Charles Robertson April 4, 2018

Corporate ego in action. It's the kind of blindness that can bring an organisation to its knees. It only requires a single start up to offer a decent alternative. 

Lisias April 4, 2018

It only requires a single start up to offer a decent alternative. 

Not even that. I got so feed up with this new U.I. stunt that I'm back using GIT-X . =/

Anything is better than the new versions of SourceTree. I'm sticking on the older versions where I can, and just using GitX otherwise.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events