cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification about merging branches (local) verse TortoiseGit

ChuckieAJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2022

I am not a Git Guru by anymeans but up until now I have been using TortoiseGit. I continue to do so on occasion.

But I wanted to be clear about merging branches. In TortoiseGit I right-click and choose the option to Merge and this popup is displayed:

Merge1.png

I always tick the No Fast Forward option and leave the Merge Message as the default. When I check the TortoiseGit log afterwards I can see the merged branch:

Merge2.png

I can now check in SourceTree and it looks the same (as you would exspect):

Merge3.png

Now, lets just go back to the point before I hard merged the branch. This si what it looked like in SourceTree:

Merge4.png

When I right-click the branch and choose the option to merge it, the following is displayed:

Merge5.png

This is why I stopped and ended up using TortoiseGit to merge. How do I ensure it will merge in the same way (no fast forward)? I ask because sometimes in the past I merged and did not have that option ticked and it merged as a single commit, which I did not want.

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events