Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open Soucetree on Catalina

rdhaene November 4, 2019

I downloaded Sourcetree from the website on my MacBook Pro, running Catalina, and when I attempt to launch it I get the error below. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

“Sourcetree” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

8 answers

1 accepted

19 votes
Answer accepted
Anouk Hermsen November 8, 2019

If you go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General you can click on allow apps downloaded from. Over the you will see that something is blocked from source tree, if you accept it it will open Sourcetree again

Alexander Leruth November 9, 2019

This worked for me. Thanks!

Like John_Lennerton likes this
Joseph Pak November 17, 2019

My company policy does not allow me to download from non-app store, non-verified. Am I SOL?

Like # people like this
vanderheiden December 18, 2019

In Mac OS you can also use the finder to go to the Applications directory. When you right-click the "SourceTree" App and select "Open" MAC OS will ask you if you want to open the app anyway. This only works when you right click the App directly!

Walter

Like # people like this
suresh_Chouhan March 5, 2020

Thanks  its working for me.

Sofía Pamela Recinos Dorst April 2, 2020

Thanks Vanderheiden, that worked for me.

14 votes
Ruben November 21, 2019

It's easy to allow it to open, but is not the bigger question why Atlassian doesn't sign its app?

alex.kent April 2, 2020

technically, I think this problem is because Atlassian doesn't use Apple's service to "Notarize" the binary. But the question (and result) is the same.

Kristoffer Bakkejord May 5, 2020

I can accept this from open source and hobby projects. But not if you are an Atlassian sized company, and this integrates into their paid producs.

First reaction to this is to suspect the release pipeline or downloaded zip to be compromised. I can't find any way to validate the download zip (e.g. SHA/MD5 on their website). Not good. 

Like # people like this
3 votes
Justin Peckner September 22, 2020

I was able to get Sourcetree 3.2.1 to run on Catalina: https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives

Hate to have to use a version that's now over a year old- wish that Atlassian would start signing the latest ones!

2 votes
Deleted user February 26, 2020

1. Open Terminal

2. Run this command:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/SourceTree.app

This does not require the user privileges to change System Preferences.

Marcos Jose Perez March 17, 2020

Thanks men, you safe my life to buy a licence of Fork.

Like Deleted user likes this
morgue_ann April 16, 2020

This takes the app out of quarantine & lets it run, but with 10.15.4 (19E266) on a Mac w/ T2, I'm seeing SourceTreeLogin, a child process of ssh which is a child process of git which is launched by launchd.development, repeatedly get some errors

(CSSM Exception: -2147413737 CSSMERR_DL_DATASTORE_DOESNOT_EXIST)

then securityd reports 

[com.apple.securityd:clientid] code requirement check failed (-67050), client is not Apple-signed

and it appears the process is killed, then a new one spawned every couple of seconds.

This uses over 100% of a CPU and hammers the network.

Like Mark Abajian likes this
gsong April 21, 2020

@morgue_ann I'm seeing the same thing. I've filed https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-7272 if you want to chime in there.

gsong April 23, 2020

@morgue_ann I manage to work around the problem for now by removing *all* accounts from Sourcetree. This causes it to not try to log into those accounts, thus pegging seucrityd with requests.

2 votes
antonio.vazquez November 4, 2019

Same here

0 votes
Kelly Woods November 18, 2019

Many common apps like Skype, WinZip and Sourcetree have such an issue on macOS Catalina. Usually you can bypass this new macOS gateway by opening the app through System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Check Allow apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers > Click Open Anyway (as mentioned by Anouk Hermsen).

app-cannot-be-opened-on-macos-catalina-1.jpg

If it still doesn't work, I assume that you are double clicking on the Sourcetree install icon, yes? Don't do that. Instead right mouse click or control click on it. You should get an Open option in context menu > Select Open > Then the next dialog box you see will be similar to the one you report, but it will also have the Open button added. Choose Open and voila.

app-cannot-be-opened-on-macos-catalina-control-click-2.jpg

David Welander(dw@live.se) February 6, 2020

I don't have the open button, even when ctrl click or right click. I think it is a company policy. So means I can't use Sourcetree...

Like Joey Erlandson likes this
0 votes
Nicolae Pop November 8, 2019

Same problem, worked just fine in Mojave.

0 votes
Joe Nipko November 8, 2019

I have the same problem

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events