Git-Credential-Manager Edited

For all how are using Sourcetree under windows OS and Mercurial as Versioning tool and want to get rid of this boring popup for asking your for credentials:

1. start cmd shell as admin
  2. Change path to where git-credential-manager.exe as been installed (normaly under ~\AppData\Local\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_extras)
  3. call "git-credential-manager.exe store"
  4. in the next lines fill in:
       protocol=https

host=code.domain.name

username=yourLoginName

password=yourLoginPassword

then press return for a new empty line. If you don't get any message, everything is okay.

4 comments

Michael, when I ran `git-credential-manager.exe store` nothing happened. The command line was just blinking.

That is what he tried to explain. You just type in the host= stuff and then the next couple lines.

This suggestion didn't work for me, unfortunately.

However what DID work was including my username/password in the repo URL. e.g. https://username:password@repo-domain.com/repo-path.

Don't forget to URL encode your username/password!

I'm using SourceTree 2.0.19.1 w/ an embedded version of Mercurial on Windows 10 and hosting my repo on IIS via hgweb.cgi. The Git Credential Manager kept popping up whenever I tried to clone/pull my repo.

Same problem here, but this solution does not work for me.

This worked for me as well

This finally worked for me as well, but only after uninstalling SourceTree and GitCredentialManager and removing the Atlassian and SourceTree folders in \Appdata\Local\

I then reinstalled SourceTree and removed and readded the remote.

Thank you. That helped me. Also I want to mention another path to achieve this. You may just open Manage Windows Credentials->Windows credentials tab and add new credential under Generic credentials. In domain field you should write "git:<your.domain.name>" and of cause then add password and username as well. My mistake was that I put just "my.domain.name" without "git:" part.

How is this so difficult to find. We upgraded this morning and its taken me over an hour to find your 5 min fix! Thanks so much!

Comment

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

275 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot