Why does "Use Git Bash only" not work with stash?

The doco in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Installing+and+upgrading+Gitstates that selecting option "Use Git Bash only" not work with stash when installing msysgit.

Is this information still current?

What is it about this option that does not work with stash?

2 answers

1 accepted

Ah, got it now. Now I see why I was confused.

I was installing git (msysgit) locally on my client and saw a statement that I thought referred to using git with stash https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Installing+and+upgrading+Gitthat states that you cannot use the first option - git bash with stash.

Perhaps to avoid future confusion, you could mention that this relates to git on the server where Stash is installed and not git installed on clients connectiong to a Stash server

Hi David,

The reason is that Git installation directory have to be included in your PATH directory so git commands can be called outside of Git Bash (example: command prompt).

Regards,

Deric

Thanks for that, But if I have understood correctly, Stash is a webapp and doesn't call any commands locally on your PC, so if you are happy using a GitBash prompt to commit or an embedded Git inside and IDE or other tool then Stash should accept those commits/clones etc.

What is it in Stash that requires a PC to have Git on the path?

Stash performs git operations in the back end for all kinds of function.

You can prove this by enabling debug logging and looking at the logs. For example, viewing a simple source file, you would see the following in your debug logging

2014-08-11 21:16:10,934 DEBUG [http-bio-7990-exec-4] admin @1GRZASKx1276x742x0 1x4hicq 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 "GET /projects/HEL/repos/hellorepo/browse/123.txt HTTP/1.1" com.atlassian.stash.scm.BaseCommand Executed C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\cmd\git.exe cat-file -p fc25f95:123.txt

Another example is when you create a pull request, Stash actually performs a merge in the background and notifies you if the merge was clean.

So the web application Stash is running commands on my PC on my behalf?

Technically, Stash runs git commands on the server repo data.

So the web application Stash is running commands on my PC on my behalf?

Only if Stash is running on your PC.

Stash requires the git binary to be installed on the machine it is running on and uses that to operate on the git repositories. So the requirement you mention only affects the server machine Stash is running on, not any of the clients accessing Stash remotely.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Uncategorized

Friday fun: how many celebrates Midsummer holiday or is this a Swedish tradition only?

Any other country that celebrates Midsummer holiday (this friday 22 June)?  

43 views 3 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you