What will happen to the mailing lists and list archives when forums.atlassian.com goes into read-only mode?

Gary Weaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2011

As of June 29, 2011, the following page states:

http://lists.atlassian.com/mailman/listinfo/confluence-user

"To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the Confluence-user Archives."

The link "Confluence-user Archives" goes to forums.atlassian.com, which is going into read-only mode in July 2011 from what I've been told. As of June 29, 2011, there is a note at the top of each page in the forums: "The forums are moving! This site will be live for another week, after which all discussions will need to take place on answers.atlassian.com. Please set your bookmark for the new site and give Atlassian Answers a try."

The Atlassian mailing lists will stay online even after the forums go into read-only mode in July 2011, correct?

Where will new messages be archived, since the old ones were archived in forums.atlassian.com?

Are the mailing lists going to be kept online for the foreseeable future? If there is a rough date for them to be taken offline, what date would that be?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gary Weaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2011

I think that the answer to this is that forums will continue to be updated via the mailing-list, but people won't be able to post to the forums without using the mailing list. Now that the forums have shutdown, I still see new threads showing up in the forums from the mailing list, so I assume that is what is going on. And, I assume there are no plans to remove the forums or the mailing lists, because some have complained that they only have access via email and restricted or no access to answers.atlassian.com.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2011

Ah, um, no, you can still post via the front end. I've raised it with Atlassian, but they're tinkering with Jira at the moment, so I can't refer you to the issue I raised (summary of response was "oh, oops, we'll look into it")

0 votes
Gary Weaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2011

As of 7/13/2011, forums.atlassian.com now reads: "The forums are read only! All new discussions will need to take place on answers.atlassian.com. These forums will remain available as a read only resource. See the Answers FAQ for more information."

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events