I can create a Bonfire template, but can't use it

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

I have successfully created a Bonfire template using these instructions...

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BONFIRE/Templates+and+Variables#TemplatesandVariables-Creatingandusingtemplates

But when I try to use it, while I can see the template name, I can't select it.

What's wrong?

Bonfire 2.6.0

JIRA 5.1.6

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
gdavidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

Is the template using a sub-task issue type? Sub-tasks can be created in Bonfire, but only if you have an active test session with one or more related issues in the same project (otherwise there's no parent issue to link to).

Templates using sub-tasks are greyed out and disabled in the Use Template list if the sub-task cannot be created according to those rules.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Humm... I think I'm meeting that criteria, but here's the step by step.

1. Open a Story and start a test session. So I have an "active" test session, right?

2. Got to the AUT and click the Bonfire icon

3. In the Use Template field, select "Create New..."

4. Create a template for creating a "Story Bug" subtask, filling in the project, etc.

5. Try to use the template

>> It is not greyed out, but it is unselectable.

If I create a template to create an Issue on the Story level, it does work.

gdavidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

1. Open a Story and start a test session. So I have an "active" test session, right?

Just to clarify: Did you just create the session from the issue, or did you create AND start it?

A session is only active once it is in the "Started" status. There are more details in the documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BONFIRE/Working+with+Sessions#WorkingwithSessions-Workinginasession

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

With the subtask Issue open on the screen, I used the drop down to create a test session. I then started the session. Then I went to a new tab, opened the AUT, clicked the Bonfire icon and tried to use the template.

gdavidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

If I'm reading correctly, your test session is related to a sub-task issue type. This might be why the template can't be used, as JIRA itself won't let you create a sub-task of a sub-task.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

I don't want to create a subtask of a subtask. I want to create a subtask of the parent Story of the testing subtask.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

BTW, I agree that if my Test Session is attached to a STORY, then I can use BonFire to create a subtask of that Story. But we have separate Coding and QA subtasks for each Story, so we attach our Test Sessions to the QA subtasks.

Enhancement request?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2012
0 votes
IBS Delhi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 1, 2012

You could in theory change you character class as you play? For example make a thief and turn him into a hunter?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

Hum... maybe you meant this comment to be attached to something else?

0 votes
gdavidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Just to clarify: Did you just create the session from the issue, or did you create AND start it?

A session is only active once it is in the "Started" status. There are more details in the documentation at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BONFIRE/Working+with+Sessions#WorkingwithSessions-Workinginasession

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events