Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get out of the rebasing state

MikeL November 15, 2011

Well, the title already says it.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2011

Either 'Commit' or 'Pull' will detect the rebase state and direct you to the rebasing options you have to proceed.

MikeL November 15, 2011

I don't want to Commit, but instead abort the rebase. Pull/fetch does not work for me at all - see my first answer.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2011

This is the dialog which is displayed when your repo is in the rebase state, when you click either Pull, Commit, or right-click anything and select 'Rebase' again: http://www.screencast.com/t/B24xnvwPiDAd. Just click 'Abort Rebase'. You don't actually have to commit or do any other actions, this comes up first.

If this dialog doesn't appear, your repo is not in a rebase state (no .git/rebase-apply).

Like Serg_Biletskii likes this
MikeL November 15, 2011

Ah, OK. If I recall correctly, there are three options when a rebase stopped - continue (conflict has been solved), skip and abort. It looks like SourceTree does not handle the second option?

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2011

"rebase --skip" is just a special case of "rebase --continue" - it's just that you discard your current changes. Many people find skip/continue ambiguous for this reason.

SourceTree will automatically issue "rebase --skip" if you opt to "Continue Rebase" and there are no changes in the working copy. Therefore to skip, you just discard your changes and continue. Personally I think this is more intuitive and clear about your intentions - it also means that if you progressively discard changes and end up with none left, you don't have to pick a different action - 'Continue' just does the right thing.

Like TarasMazepa likes this
2 votes
Eugene Porubaev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2020

When you are in the "Rebase" state, your repository will have orange [Rebase] badge in the repositories list.

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 14.48.03.png

To exit this state you:

1. Open the repository
  2. Press "Pull"
  3. Press "Abort" on the "Abort rebase" prompt.Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 14.48.35.png
  4. Press "Cancel" on the final Pull prompt.
0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2011

"rebase --skip" is just a special case of "rebase --continue" - it's just that you discard your current changes. Many people find skip/continue anbiguous for this reason.

SourceTree will automatically issue "rebase --skip" if you opt to "Continue Rebase" and there are no changes in the working copy. Therefore to skip, you just discard your changes and continue. Personally I think this is more intuitive and clear about your intentions - it also means that if you progressively discard changes and end up with none left, you don't have to pick a different action - 'Continue' just does the right thing.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events