How do I move work logs from one issue to another in the same project?

Jira is aweful... but ONE thing could make it at least managable: moving worklogs to different issues. Is there a way to move work logs from one issue to another in the same project? I tried ictime, but the supposed feature doesn't appear where the documentation says it should appear.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I have done it with Tempo. Never tried ictume and so not sure.

Thanks! Tempo worked great.

Jobin we have been using tempo as well but have not found an easy way to move worklogs from one issue to another.

Can you explain how you do this.

thanks,

- Bill

This widget could not be displayed.

Aweful? I assume you mean awesome?

Worklogs generally can't be moved because there's an assumption that your users are going to do it in the right place, and delete/re-add is not too onerous if they only make the occaisional mistake (frankly, if your users keep getting it that badly wrong, then having to correct it the hard way is good encouragement for them to get it right the first time!)

You should never assume that users are going to put worklogs in the right place, and there are times when things have to be shifted even when the users do enter their time correctly. Tempo did what we need, but this ought to be a standard Jira feature.

I agree, that's why you've got delete and re-add.

You should never assume that "entering garbage and (often failing bother) correcting it later" is the right thing to do, and not bothering to implement an easy way to do it is a good way to encourage people to get it right in the first place. I've worked at places where data similar to time-logs was very important, and in one very critical case, we had a specific requirement to make it a pain - it increased initial correct entry by around a third, leading to less admin work, better forecasting, and happier users (because the managers had less to complain about)

Use Case: Moving time logged from a parent to a sub-task retrospectively gaining detail. E.g. A colleague and I started work on a ticket together but subsequently decided to sub-task the work by the specific areas which we had been concentrating on. This is not an anti-pattern and unlike the previous comment, is a perfectly legitimate use of moving time logs. It would be very helpful indeed if this was a core feature.

This would be a very useful feature.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

The 7 hacks of highly successful automation

...there's anything I've learnt from working, it's that people are lazy! No offense to anyone reading this, but it's true and we can all admit it. The easier you make something for someone, the more...

81 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you