How clone a task and its subtasks ?

I don't have the subtasks when I clone a task with subtasks. Is it possible to do it ?

6 answers

There are a number of add-ons that can do this, with varying features.  You will need an add-on of some sort to do this, though.

0 vote
Nick Menere Community Champion Jul 05, 2017

We are tracking the ability to clone subtasks automatically at - AUT-335

In the mean time, you can mnaully loop over the sub-tasks of the original issue and clone these. You will need to overwrite the parent in the advanced section with:

"fields": {
        "parent": "{{createdIssues.first.key}}."

This will set teh parent of teh cloned issue to the first issue created in the rule - in this case the original clone.

Let me know how you go.

Hello Nick,

Unfortunately, this (great) workaround no longer works. It now returns an error to the Audit log:

Error creating issue Issue type is a sub-task but parent issue key or id not specified. (issuetype)

Hello Nick,

I'm sorry to answer you so late...

I've tried to do what you told me but it is too difficult...I'm not an expert yet in the pluggin settings.

For example...I have a trigger "When: Issue commented" and an action "Then: Clone issue into same project and same issue type"...after that I don't know what to do to clone the subtasks of the task...sorry.

Nick Menere Community Champion Jul 20, 2017

I tried the following locally and it succesfully craeted clones sub-tasks.

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 3.16.12 pm.png

Let me know if you get it working.

Hello Nick,

It in not exactly what I would like to do. 

"When I create an issue A then I clone an issue B and for this issue I clone their sub-tasks...and I delete the issue A"

But I can not add "And:For Sub-tasks" in the JQL branch...

See the the screen shot below2017-08-28_0933.png

Hello Nick,

I did it with 2 rules but I have an another problem...The subtask have links between them (block by etc...) and when I clone the subtasks the links are not clones...I lost all my links, too bad.

Do you have an idea.

Nick Menere Community Champion Aug 31, 2017

Unfortunately we can't clone issue links yet.

We are tracking this at:

You can add the links to the description of the issue or asa comment, not perfect but it is workable.

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your answer.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Louis De Jaeger
Posted 4 hours ago in Off-topic

Friday fun: your best joke

Hi all Lets make this Friday fun really fun and post one (or more) of your best jokes! The joke can be about an Atlassian product, or just a really fun joke you want to share! I’m not the best j...

20 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot