Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File permissions error after clone

Mike Garlick November 22, 2016

Hey,

I have a multitude of web applications that are mostly based in PHP and have quite a deep file/directory structure. Upon making new repositories with SourceTree and Bitbucket and then cloning to a live server all my file and directory permissions have been ignored and changed rendering my web applications useless.

I've read around this topic and found that essentially SourceTree/Bitbucket/Git etc believe that file permissions are irrelevant. How on earth that is an answer to it I have no idea as file permissions can be the death of web applications if not kept intact.

My only work around so far is to do a full recursive chmod on an entire file structure which is just downright ugly. I would like to find out how to retain them throughout any process with sourcetree and bitbucket.

NB - This post has been edited and previously mentioned wordpress. Regardless of the code base a repository uses this issue is still pertinent. And I retract my quote of 30% (apologies) its something more like 18% which is still not to be sniffed at.

1 answer

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2016

This is the Atlassian user forum, so i think you are barking up the wrong tree here.

On a side-note, why does so many people ask WP questions here? Does wordpress have a link to Atlassian questions or something?

Mike Garlick November 23, 2016

I'd say because over 30% of the entire internet is WordPress and it kind bleeds out on everything web related.

Its not necessarily a wordpress question I'm asking. More the fact that SourceTree in ignoring the file permissions and changing them when committing and cloning ect.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2016

Ah, this again.

@Jonas Andersson - yes, you're spot on.  There are several sites who are documenting their Wordpress hints, add-ons, tricks, suggestions and so-on using Confluence.  A number of the more poorly designed sites don't bother to offer good routes to help, support or forums, so people looking for help end up landing on the Confluence footer, which in turn lands them here. 

This, of course, begs the question of why they're not using Wordpress to do their docs, but that's a different conversation.

@Mike Garlick - 30% is a vast exaggeration, but that's not important here.  You have a very good question, and it deserves attention from the community, as it's not just an edge case related to Wordpress specific executables or scripts.  I am not a Sourcetree user as it doesn't run on Linux, so I really can't help, but, if it is still a problem, I would ask the question again.  But change it slightly:

• Do not label it with Wordpress
  • Absolutely need to label it with Sourcetree
  • Expand on what "access wp-admin" means.  Assume the audience doesn't know what that is at all (is it a script/executable/page to run?)

Mike Garlick December 14, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] - Duly noted and edited.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events