Confluence doesn't respond after upgrade to 6.1.3

Kris W May 9, 2017

I've just upgraded Confluence from 5.9.4 to 6.1.3 and now I can't get it to start. I'm just getting a plain white empty page.

When I start Confluence it seems to start okay:

Starting confluence
If you encounter issues starting up Confluence, please see the Installation guide at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+Installation+Guide

Server startup logs are located in /var/www/apps/confluence/logs/catalina.out
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Java: /var/www/apps/confluence/jre//bin/java
2017-05-09 22:30:45,061 INFO [main] [atlassian.confluence.bootstrap.SynchronyProxyWatchdog] A Context element for ${confluence.context.path}/synchrony-proxy is found in /var/www/apps/confluence/conf/server.xml. No further action is required
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using CATALINA_BASE: /var/www/apps/confluence
Using CATALINA_HOME: /var/www/apps/confluence
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/www/apps/confluence/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /var/www/apps/confluence/jre/
Using CLASSPATH: /var/www/apps/confluence/bin/bootstrap.jar:/var/www/apps/confluence/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /var/www/apps/confluence/work/catalina.pid
Tomcat started.

But as I said all I get is a blank white page.

Here's one small part of my catalina.out:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal access: this web application
instance has been stopped already. Could not load
[com.atlassian.event.internal$EventPublisherImpl]. The following stack
trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to
terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.

(might be from hipchat-plugin-tasks-executor-0 )

and here's the end of my logs/atlassian-confluence.log :

2017-05-09 23:37:19,273 WARN [localhost-startStop-1] [atlassian.confluence.plugin.PluginFrameworkContextListener] contextDestroyed Failed to shut down plugin system during ServletContext shutdown: Cannot go from State: RESUMING to: SHUTTING_DOWN
2017-05-09 23:37:19,459 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] destroy Shutting down long running task service
2017-05-09 23:37:19,493 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] shutdownCacheManager Shutting down EhCache cache manager
2017-05-09 23:37:19,508 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] [com.atlassian.confluence.lifecycle] contextDestroyed Stopping Confluence

I've tried clearing the plugins cache.

We are running on Apache 2.2 and we do have a reverse proxy, but we are NOT yet running SSL.

Can you help?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2017

Is it possible that you are accessing Confluence on the wrong context path? If there is a context path in server.xml and you don't append it to the URL, a blank page will appear. Likewise if you are using a context path in the browser but you don't have one set in the configuration file. Please see: Getting a blank or white screen when accessing confluence via browser and How to change the Confluence context path.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events