Cannot link to Zephyr test cases from Jira

shakman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2013

I have successfully installed the Zephyr Enterprise Connector for Jira plugin. I can link to Jira issues in Zephyr, but my customers are reporting they cannot link to Zephyr test cases from Jira. From what I've read, there should be 2-way sharing between the applications, but only 1 side appears to be working.

Are there additional configuration steps I need to take once the plugin is installed? I didn't see anything in the documentation, but I may have missed something.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Hi Shakman,

The Zephyr Enterprise Edition offers some "linking" capabilities on the JIRA side, but it is very limited.

For example, you can paste into JIRA an html-style link to an individual testcase that will take you to that testcase in Zephyr. To get it, right click on a testcase in Zephyr's testcase creation and copy the link to the clipboard. Then paste it to JIRA or anywhere you'd like.

For example, this is a link to a Zephyr testcase inside the Zephyr Enterprise Instance on my laptop: http://localhost/flex/?tcid=55

Also: When you create a defect from ZEE's TestCase Execution Module, JIRA 5.x versions can include a "linked issue" reference to the testcase in Zephyr.

From JIRA, there isn't any access points to the Zephyr Enterprise Edition. For example, you can't search testcases or navigate through testcase executions. We at Zephyr have built integrations with JIRA. JIRA hasn't built any special integrations with Zephyr.

Do you understand something different? Please let me know what you've read so I can understand where you are at.

Kind Regards,
Chris

0 votes
Effie Karageorgos May 29, 2014

We are using Zephyr on Jira (v6.0.8). We can link a "Test" issue to other issues using various linkage types. BUT if I try to link a TEST issue to two issues of the same type (e.g. Bug) only the last linkage is kept.

In another instance where we have Zephyr on Jira (v5.2.3) the issue does not exist. Has anyone seen this behavior with later Jira versions?

0 votes
Robert Laviolette August 22, 2013

I can't believe it... I didn't think to verify if this feature was possible because I was assuming that if Zephirs and Jira are both made by Atlassian, they were compatible and fully integrated. This is a minimal and primary feature. if I find a bug while executing a test case, I want them to be linked. When the bug will be fixed, I want a link to the associated test case to retry this one.

I was searching about why the test steps are not inserted in issue description when I create a bug from a test case. We are realy far from this feature if the link isn't there yet.

Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2013

Robert,

Here are a few points.

1) Zephyr is an independent company and isn't run by Atlassian. That said, our functionality is within JIRA, but we can't control any JIRA functionality.

2) The original question is about one product, our Zephyr Enterprise Edition. It looks like you are talking about a different product, Zephyr for JIRA.

It can be confusing, as both manage testcases. Zephyr for JIRA is a AddOn INSIDE of JIRA and Zephyr Enterprise Edition is a independent test management system that is OUTSIDE of JIRA and integrates with JIRA.

And actually, both products create links to bugs in JIRA when you create a bug from Zephyr. The link asked for above is to create a testcase link from JIRA Bug to Zephyr Enteprise Edition Testcase. This is the functionality that doesn't exist.

Inside Zephyr for JIRA, we inherit the "linked Issue" functionality from JIRA and you can map anything to a testcase as needed.

Now for what you were searching for:

Zephyr for JIRA: Inserting test steps from a testcase into a defect. I'll note this as a feature request.

**Last but not least - if you would like Zephyr and JIRA to be from the same company, you can encourge Atlassian to purchase us. They are larger so they are the logical choice to be the buyer.

Kind Regards,
Chris

0 votes
shakman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 21, 2013

I am engaging Zephyr support to resolve this issue. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events