Calculated Date Field for end date of active sprint or release date of fix version

Wouter Franssens October 27, 2014

Hello,

Our resources are active in a variaty of projects that use different approaches for planning in JIRA. Some use JIRA Agile for sprint planning, others mainly use Fix Versions and work towards the release date of a version and others  only use the due date of an issue. Although streamlining the planning approach would be the more logical solution, due to the nature of some projects this could not be achieved. 

Therefor, to consolidate "due dates", I would like to have a calculated date field that returns something as the following:

IF duedate is not EMPTY THEN calc.field = duedate
ELSE IF Sprint is not EMPTY THEN calc.field = sprint End Date (closest end date if issue appears in multiple sprints)
ELSE IF Fix Version/s is not EMPTY THEN calc.field = Version Release Date (closest release date if issue appears in multiple versions)
ELSE calc.field = ""
ENDIF

Besides some VBA stuff, I have no programming experience, so any input is welcome!

Thanks,

Wouter

1 answer

0 votes
Alexej Geldt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2014

Hello Wouter

You will propably need to implement a JIRA custom field plugin. You don't have to be an elite hacker to achive this however.

First step to get started would be setting up the environment and creating an empty plugin.

In that plugin you might want to implement your own calculated custom field of type Date, which is doing the calculations before returning a value.

Without to much programming experience i suggest using the atlassian plugin SDK tool to generate and wire up an empty plugin and your custom field. From there it's just as simple as translating your pseudocode in java and drop it in the right place.

check: https://developer.atlassian.com/display/DOCS/Getting+Started

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/atlassian-plugin-sdk-windows

Wouter Franssens October 29, 2014

Hello Alexej, The plugin I'm using is called "JIRA Misc Custom Fields". https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JMCF/JIRA+Misc+Custom+Fields I have implemented allready a few other custom calculated fields with the support of Innovalog. I was hoping the "Calculated Date" field could be used for my request, but I don't know how to get it to display the required information. Thanks, Wouter

Alexej Geldt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2014

Ah i see. Using JIRA Misc Custom Fields is also a possible approach. I was not aware of this plugin yet, but i think i understand how it works. Basically it adds some extra custom fields which can be provided with a calculation formula. Yes, this should be sufficient in your case. So your Problem is about the formula right? lets see what the Documentation says. Formula syntax The formula should be included in the field description inside an html comment (so that it remains invisible when showing the field description), preceded by the following keyword: @@Formula: (note the colon at the end). For example: This field represents 10 days after the creation of the issue. <!-- @@Formula: org.apache.commons.lang.time.DateUtils.addDays(issue.get("created"),10) --> now we need to translate your pseudocode into java lets clear some things. what does this mean? calc.field = sprint End Date (closest end date if issue appears in multiple sprints) does it mean, that sprint End Date is another calculated custom field, which provides value as described in braces? Or does it mean that the sprint End Date has to be calculated as described in braces?

Wouter Franssens October 30, 2014

Hello Alexej, sprint End Date is a property of a started sprint in Jira Agile. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Starting+a+Sprint An issue can appear in multiple sprints, so if that is the case, I need to have the End Date of the sprint that is scheduled to finish first.

Alexej Geldt
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2014

You must excuse me, i didn't have a chance to work with JIRA Agile yet, but i have some basic imaginations. So, if i get you right, you must calculate the next Sprint End Date first, it is not just a field that can give you that value right away... This makes the formula way more complicated for you indeed. I would suggest to split your pseudocode in smaller parts, try them one by one and then join them into combined formula. lets start with first case IF duedate is not EMPTY THEN calc.field = duedate So we have a condition based on wether duedate is empty or not. And if there is a duedate, then we take its value for our field. something like this maybe: <!-- @@Formula: (issue.get("duedate") != null ? issue.get("duedate") : null ) --> explaining: this is short style if statement. condition is before question mark. then clause is between ? and : else clause is after : we get the value of the due date field and check if it is null or not. if not, we return the value of duedate field. else, we return null. please try this and report if it worked.

Wouter Franssens February 3, 2016

Hello Alexei,

It's been a while, I hope your still there.

I have picked up this topic again. The formula you entered helped me, next step is to include the check for a fix version:

<!-- @@Formula: (issue.get("versions") != "None" ? issue.get("duedate") : issue.get("userReleaseDate")) --> 

3 issuez with my above formula:

1) No matter what the value for the issue version is ("None" if no version is selected or the selected version) it always returns the due date. Same result when I use "null".

2) The due date is not in my "outlookdate format"

3) I'm not using the appropriate field for getting the "Release Date" of the Version

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Wouter

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events