Sub-task Dependencies in Portfolio 2.0

I found a defect in new version of Portfolio that impacts its use if the teams are using sub-tasks in JIRA

The defect is exposed in two ways:
1) If the sub-tasks have dependencies upon one another, Portfolio will not schedule the story.
2) If the sub-tasks do not have dependencies upon one another, Portfolio will schedule the resources concurrently.
Example:
  • There is a story with three sub-tasks: Design (2 days), Develop (3 days) and Test (4 days).
  • If the sub-tasks are set up so that design blocks development and development blocks testing, Portfolio will not schedule the story and produce errors that there is a violation in dependencies and cyclic dependency detected.
  • If the dependencies are removed, Portfolio will schedule all the resources concurrently. In this example, that would make it appear the designer is working on the story for 9 days and that all resources will start working on the story on the same day.
  • The setting 'Issue assignee import level' in configuration does not address this.
I communicated this to Atlassian and they have logged it as a suggestion.

8 answers

Do you know what the defect ID is? I believe I am seeing this same issue.

Hi Eric,

I have not heard back from Atlassian on the stats of the defect and the respondent from Atlassian, rchristian@atlassian.com, did not provide a defect ID. sad

Thanks,

Marie

I encounter the exact same issue here.

in my test setup I have a 

task "testtask" with two subtasks task1 and task2, where task1 blocks task2 (so definitely NOT a cyclic dependency)

I also get the "Cyclic dependency detected. "error with a red exclamationmark

Any updates/guidance on this as I am also getting this error and am not able to link 2 Sub-tasks.

I have not heard back from Atlassian on this. 

Hitting the same issue, I even tried removing "Block" linktype as a Portfolio dependency linkype but it still complains about cyclic dependency error.

Same issue with me. Any workaround in place?

I found the record in Atlassian's instance - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPO-1600

Currently, this is listed as a Suggestion and is not assigned.  

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Josh Frank
Posted Dec 01, 2017 in Portfolio for Jira

Portfolio for Jira: Share your tips!

The Portfolio for Jira team wants to hear from you. Share your top tips for building a great Portfolio for Jira plan for a chance to win some Atlassian swag.  Do you structure your teams i...

544 views 6 8
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot