Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delicious Daylight: Where are you on this Winter Solstice day?

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

The Winter Solstice is today in the Northern Hemisphere. That represents the shortest daylight day of the year for many of us, and for the community members in the Southern Hemisphere, the longest daylight day of the year. 

It got me thinking about the size and scope of the Atlassian Community, and where each of us is located in this ever shrinking world. 

I'd like to know what your day looks like today. I also don't want to invade anyone's privacy, so rather than say where you are, post a screenshot from timeanddate of the Sunrise, Sunset and Day Length (what it's not 24 hours!?) in your answer! Let's see how disparate the stats are!

Bonus if you can recall the place you were on the longest or shortest daylight days in your lifetime (or recent memory for those of us who can't remember what they had for breakfast)

TD.JPG

BONUS ENTRY: 

Both my longest and shortest days were spent in Amsterdam. In 2014 my previous company was acquired by a strategic firm in the same industry and I began travelling to our Amsterdam office from NY a few times a year. I never realized just how far north Amsterdam was, and in early January 2015 was there for 8:40AM sunrise and 3:35PM sunset. In 2016 I was there in June and don't recall what time sunrise was, but was still out on my bike at 10:15PM and it was still light out and remember being shocked when I looked at the time on my phone - but the beer after midnight was a nice caloric replenishment!

@Reni Carlson @Monique vdB @Jimmy Seddon @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Mandy Ross @Meg Bailey @Blanka Meinhardt @Fabian Lim @Bill Bailey @Marjorie @G subramanyam @Erica Moss @Thomas Schlegel as community members that I have had the pleasure of communicating with, I'm interested in your answers!

8 answers

8 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

Pleasantly surprised with this app timeanddate and the information it has.

Here's my current place climatic situation as on this post date. Thank you @Andy Gladstone for this interesting idea. As @Monique vdB mentioned, Vitamin D and Sun screen lotion will be very much the next action plan for all the commenters!

time and date.png

I had a brief visit for 3 months to New South Wales, Sydney couple of years ago and the climatic stats (day length) is 14 hours!. This is by far the longer days state I had stayed & experienced. Inline the Sydney view:

Sydney time n date.png

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

Winner for most sunlight on a Northern Hemisphere’s winter day!

I’d love to get to Australia one day too. I imagine it’s only worth the trip if I stay as long as you were there. ✈️ lag!

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Meg Bailey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2021

Happy Solstice everyone! ❄️ 

My ☀️ stats: 

🌅 7:16 AM - Sunrise 

🌇 4:31 PM - Sunset 

🌤 9 Hours, 15 Mins total of sunlight today

Tried to embrace the darkness and channel hygge today with candles lit and coffee + a pastry while I work! 🕯☕️ 🥐

Bonus: Sweden in the summertime – I haven't been much further north than Stockholm but would love to experience polar nights in Lappland someday. 🇸🇪

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

You win for closest proximity!

Northern Lights! Yes, that would be amazing. About as far north as I would want to ever venture, but on the 🪣 list. 

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2021

Well I am located in Central Texas, so failry far South. So length of day is 10hrs and 10 min

Screenshot_2021-12-21 Current Local Time in Bryan – College Station, Texas, USA.png

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

@Bill Bailey thanks for sharing! The sun shines bright DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!

Like # people like this
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2021

It was in the low 70s today and sunny -- shorts weather! Tomorrow promises to be even warmer.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 21, 2021

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and we have a storm coming! I should probably go take a walk before the rain starts while I still can. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 12.08.40 PM.png

Happy Solstice @Andy Gladstone!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

Looking pretty bleak! Hope you can catch some open air time under an awning or umbrella.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

07D25726-DE43-4A27-9952-3E4D3A34A415.jpeg

This is Northern Germany today. I spent my day cleaning up the house, reading („Billy Summers“ by Stephen King) cuddling with the cat. I‘m already on Christmas vacation.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

So far leading for least sunlight today, hope that you had a bright day regardless!

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

I get this:

Sunrise Today: 08:10
Sunset Today: 15:51

I'm in the UK, so it's already dark here.  Unusually, I actually left the house today - walked across town to get my 3rd Covid jab!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 21, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- congrats on getting the booster! Vitamin D is at a premium by you - very little sunlight today!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 21, 2021

This conversation reminded me to take my Vitamin D supplement (which supposedly boosts Covid protection, I'm boosted and everything but Omicron is a thing apparently) and go out for a walk before the rain hit, so thanks!

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2021

@Monique vdB I got boosted the other day too.  And, Flu.  And, Shingles....

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

Sorry I'm a day late to this, something something new baby in the house + lack of sleep.

Anyway, I'm located in Guelph, Ontario, Canada and here's the stats in this part of the world:

JimmyStats.JPG

As a fun fact, this year it was 2 seconds longer than when my wife and I first moved to Guelph (back in 2006).  I'm originally from London, Ontario which is about 1 hour southwest of Guelph.

Additionally, from the year I was born in London, this year was almost exactly 4 minutes shorter.

Thanks for sharing @Andy Gladstone!  This was fun to play around with!

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

First of all, Mazel Tov on the new arrival! Baby in the house should have meant that this reply was written at 3:32AM, not PM!

So, Guelph from Ontario, eh? Are you still a Storm supporter, or have you become a Knight? Noting that John Tavares broke my heart when he left the Islanders to go back home to Toronto, I won't hold it against you.

Shorter days... What natural or unnatural phenomenon can be contributing to the decline in sun time?

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

Thank you @Andy Gladstone!  I have been a long time Knights supporter and I will always cheer for them to some extent.  But, yes my wife and I are converted Storm fans, and I can't wait to be able to take our 4 year old to some games I think he will really enjoy it!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2021

@Andy Gladstone I have not left the United States, which is odd for a retired Marine.  I performed 26 years of duty from the Continental United States.

Seeing the sunset time makes me realize that Daylight Savings time seems a bit useless in the present time.  Thoughts?

image.png

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2021

This is when i was in Alaska shortest...

image.png

Like G subramanyam likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

Just 5 hours!!!

Like Marjorie likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2021

First of all @Marjorie thank you for your service! I will say that a trip to Alaska is on par with overseas travel, so you can be an honorary member of that club!

I'm with you on DST, I think we should just go back to the more predictable ST and be done with it. The purpose it was created for is no longer served. According to this post, less than 40% of the countries in the world use it. 

Like Marjorie likes this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2021

@Andy Gladstone it was my honor to serve.  And, sometimes, most times, I feel like I was so fortunate to serve.  So I say thank you right back!

^^100% agree with your opinion on DST.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events