Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the ways to gather people for usability tests of Jira applications?

Piotr_Śmiałek_Deviniti January 25, 2023

Hi all,

I work as a UX designer for Jira apps. I wonder if you know some good processes of finding Jira users for usability tests. As far as I know this shouldn't be done on the atlassian community. Do you know any other methods to find participants for such a sessions?

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

I work for an Atlassian partner that has quite a few products and has for a long long time.

Finding people to do UX tests is a "pain in the neck".  We lean on existing clients a bit (and are trying to do it more because their experiences are much more useful than our guesswork), and market research of course.  And looking at competitors, where Atlassian is going, and more.

But I really really want to contradict one thing you said.

"finding Jira users for usability tests. As far as I know, this shouldn't be done on the Atlassian community"

I completely understand why you've formed that idea, but, no, actually, go for it.  As long as

• The thing you are testing is Atlassian related.
  • You are open about who you work for (volunteer it - say it in the content, or change your display name to include it).  A lot of us are lazy on this one - you should see "Adaptavist" in my display name, so I don't need to think about announcing it on every post.
  • You are clear about what the testing is for and how any results will be used (I will sign up for any Atlassian tests I feel I might be helpful for, but that's my job, and hobby.  Other people might not be, so it is worth asking about how their data and feedback may be used)

then you are asking in the best place!

Given those generalisations, heck, go for it.  Ask the community.  It is the sort of thing we are here for.  There are 5 million of us at the last count, and although we're not all Jira users, you're going to interest a lot of those that are.

The one thing I would ask you to do is ask your questions as new posts.  Comments and replies work really well, but they only reach people interested in the current conversation.

If you reply here, only I, and maybe a handful of "watchers" will see it.  Ask a new question, a <large number> of people will see it.

Like # people like this
Piotr_Śmiałek_Deviniti January 26, 2023

Thanks for the reply :) Have you ever tried to share an exteneral link with some kind of forms/surveys on the community? I wonder if it is okay with community policy.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

My apologies, it seems that I only answered part of the question, hence the edit to (re-)add the second part.

I have not.

It has never been my job to do it. Yours, and mine more recently - yes, as long as you say you are an Atlassian provider (I always tell everyone that I work for Adaptavist).  

Finding people to talk to about our products was not really part of my job until recently, there's other people tasked with that, but I've always tried to do a bit of it.

The Community is a good place to do it!  Go for it!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events