Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What people call Issues

Sonja Altmann January 15, 2024

Hi there,
Just curious, maybe I'm wrong, and am interested to hear other's thoughts.

People in my organisation refer to everything that lands in a Jira project (ie Epics, Stories, Tasks, Sub-Tasks etc) as "Jiras".

I work in the area of documenting the business processes, training people and providing information so I will get to hopefully influence this vocabulary.  

But what if I'm wrong? 

I call them Issues.  

Should I be calling them "Jira's".

I probably shouldn't care.  But somehow I do!  

Hit me with your thoughts!

4 comments

Comment

Pasam Venkateshwarrao
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2024

Hi @Sonja Altmann 

The Epic,stories,Tasks,subtasks all these are issuetypes which user can create a jira ticket by using issuetypes based on their activity.

Like Sonja Altmann likes this
ariraati January 15, 2024

I prefer to call them as issues too (never heard someone calling them as Jiras, for me that sounds like nickname). And when specifically referring to a specific issue use its issue type name (Epic, Story, Task, Incident..) to give reader idea what the issue is about.

Like Sonja Altmann likes this
Linh Pham_Ricksoft_Inc
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2024

In my organization, all issue types in software projects are called "tickets" but those in business project (JWM) are called "tasks" but in general we also refer to them as "issues" :D 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2024

They're all issues, as Jira is an issue tracker system.  "Issue" is a generic term for "something that needs to be looked at"

Some people use the word ticket, which is generally wrong, because in English, a ticket is only one possible use of an issue item - Epics, onboarding processes, post-it notes on your 'fridge, etc - are not tickets, but they are issues.  A ticket is something that gives you an entitlement to a service provided by someone else.  I'd accept the use of the word "ticket" for a Jira service-management Request and Issue pair, but not most other issue types (unless you really are using Jira for running trains or bus services)

But some places do call Jira issues Jiras, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's a perfectly valid way to talk about issues held in Jira.  It's likely that it is localised jargon, just the way your organisation happens to talk - I've worked in a couple of places that called them Jiras, and many that do not.

The only thing I would say about the way you refer to issues in general is to NOT have an issue type with the name you choose to refer to refer to all types of issue in Jira.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events