cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSM vs. SNO

mhutchins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 18, 2024

Hi!  I am evaluating JSM as a possibility to replace ServiceNow.  Has anyone on this forum got experience with either?  Maybe even experience of transitioning to one to the other?  We are looking at from a CX perspective and need to have a place where our customers can input tickets, get updates on tickets etc.  We have had SNO for about a year but due to the customization required and unfortunately a terrible experience with the recommended 3rd party developer for integration we are still struggling.  We are only a $20M company and wondering if we bit off more than we can chew and possibly JSM might be a more logical tool.  We do have two dedicated SNO developers.  I would like to add they are self taught SNO developers and have no since received certifications but prior experience with SNO was Zero.  Any insight would be helpful as we consider and compare.  

2 answers

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, there's quite a lot of experience with SNOW here, not just as people moved from one job to another, but also using them concurrently, making them work together, and migrating from one to the other (although most of that experience is moving from SNOW to Jira).

I would recommend having a bit of a think about a few things.  Not a detailed analysis, just a very broad idea - you can probably answer this with a couple of quick chats with some of the stakeholders and users, plus a couple of hours digging through your systems and processes, or even just gathering your memories of the pain points you've had with it.

How much data you want to transfer (all? open issues only? Nothing - just stop creating new ones in SNOW and turn it off when you've closed all the existing ones?)

What type of data you need and how it would change shape if it had to move to Jira

How much would you have to change your processes if you moved

What critical things does SNOW provide to you (maybe just list the top 3 or so)

Are the same mistakes likely to happen if you move off SNOW (this is more about looking at why SNOW is not working well for you

Can Jira be configured to work in the way you want to work?  Or "how complex are your customisations in SNOW?"

The one I would think most about - you mentioned a year's work on "integration" and development.  Do you think Jira will be able to meet the integration needs more easily?  Or more likely, is the integration well designed at both ends of the link, and meets your needs?

When you've gathered a feel for most of that, I would then recommend contacting a Jira expert of some form.  Obviously, I'm going to recommend it be an Atlassian partner, but feel free to ask more here in the Community too.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2024

And join @Laurie Sciutti if you can!

Like Laurie Sciutti likes this
2 votes
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2024

Hey @mhutchins and welcome to the Community!  I've had experience with both and personally prefer JSM.  If you are interested and available, there's an ACE starting in about 10 minutes regarding JSM / Best Practices :  https://ace.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-lansing-presents-starting-fresh-jira-service-management/ 

About the Event:

Begin the new year by creating a new Jira Service Management project in a community format!

Together we will create a new JSM project while discussing both best practices and administrative missteps.

Come to discover how others approach new projects and share your own experiences!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events