Why your plugin?

Todd Alden November 19, 2015

Hello,

I'm interested in your plugin, but I'm fairly new to JIRA.  Can you help me with better understanding the usefulness of your plugin (this would also be good info on your doc page)?  The description is very much what we are looking for (a good way to track "done") but we are not sure how much better this is than some of the other possible solutions.

1) What are the advantages of your plugin over just using the built in JIRA "checkboxes" Custom Field type?

2) What do you see as the advantage of your plugin over the free "ToDo list custom field" plugin?

Thanks,

Todd

Delphi

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 19, 2015

Hi Todd,

Sure, I will gladly help you out.

1. The JIRA Checkboxes is really limited in functionality. The 2 major limitations are that, when being displayed, you don't see checkboxes but only a comma delimited list of items checked. Of course, you can see the entire list under a "Checklist" form but only when you edit the list. This is by far the most criticized feature of the default JIRA Checkboxes field. The other major limitation is that you cannot add new items at the issue level. So, if you plan to have different checklist items per issue, you will not be able to do it with the default implementation.
  2. While the free "ToDo list" solves that above mentioned limitations, our add-on will allow you to update global items (items applicable to every issue) at any time and see the impact on the every issue. The free version only allows  you to set default values that are set at creation time. Moreover, with our add-on, you will:
    • Get a much better user experience.  e.g Drag & Drop reordering, filters, etc
    • Capability to set statuses (N/A, In Progress, Blocked) for each item
    • Search for checked/unchecked items as well as for completed checklists.
    • Special items formatting e.g. links, bold, italic, emoji, etc
    • Export/Import checklist
    • Mandatory vs optional items that can be used to validate bare minimum work
    • Capability to change the checklist during a workflow transition
    • More responsive support to your questions smile

A lot of our users actually use Checklist to avoir using JIRA subtasks for simple tracking. For the complex tracking where a complex workflow is required, subtasks are preferable. However, if you only need to check that something was done, Checklist makes it much easier.

You can also take a look at our documentation and its highlighted features.

Yves

Todd Alden November 19, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply! I will talk with the team. My guess is we will be trying out your plugin soon.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events