VSTS Git repositories not being detected

Brian Hulse May 31, 2018

I have installed the free trial version of this plugin and authorized it to access my vsts account (of which I am an admin). The index runs and looks to succeed, but no Repositories show up. We have many git repositories across many vsts projects on this account, so I'm not sure why nothing is showing up. Any troubleshooting steps anyone can recommend?

The index log looks like:

2018-05-31 16:55:47,511 INFO  Start indexing RepoSource ***********removed for security***********
2018-05-31 16:55:50,011 INFO  Finishing
2018-05-31 16:55:50,011 INFO  Indexed

1 answer

0 votes
Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2018

Hi Brian,

Just to be absolutely sure... these projects use "Git" version control? The other option is "Team Foundation Version Control".

Brian Hulse May 31, 2018

We have a few projects that use TFVC, but the majority use Git version control. I'm not expecting TFVC stuff to show up with your connector.

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2018

Let me show you what it looks like when it works.

Here's the connection:

microsoft-vsts-connection.gif

Does that look significantly different than what you see?

Brian Hulse May 31, 2018

After hitting accept on the MSFT auth page I do not see the page with the name and path and the connect button. 

Ah! I checked my dev console in chrome and it looks like I'm getting a 401 on the Jira billing page. I don't have billing rights so that is probably the issue, i'll talk to my admin and will let you know if that works.

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2018

The thing is... you're getting as far as a connection and getting log data present.

Are your projects under a different path other than "DefaultCollection" ?

Brian Hulse May 31, 2018

Good point. I'm.... not sure how to answer that with VSTS. 

I connected to my account "https://myproject.visualstudio.com" (although this shows up as "https://*.visualstudio.com/*" in the repository list in the manage repositories section, and I can't find a way to change it).

I then have a number of "Projects" on this account that have repositories in them (sorry if i'm being overly obvious here). An example of how the url to one of my repos looks like in this structure is:

https://myproject.visualstudio.com/ApiProject/_git/Sample.Api

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2018

Here's a sample of mine:

https://bigbrassband.visualstudio.com/DefaultCollection/ntlmtestproject/_git/ntlmtestproject

I'm unsure how it is that you don't have a collection listed in that path. 

I'm researching now. Let me know if you know more about your VSTS setup.

Brian Hulse May 31, 2018

It looks like adding DefaultCollection into my path is valid too: 

https://myproject.visualstudio.com/DefaultCollection/ApiProject/_git/Sample.Api

They must have masked DefaultCollection in hosted VSTS. Anything else I can try? 

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2018

I was wondering if you had a more elaborate VSTS setup where all users are in one VSTS org and all projects in a different one(s).

Do you know anything about that for your setup?

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2018

Here' something to try...

What happens when you access this:
https://<YOURURL>.visualstudio.com/_apis/projectcollections?api-version=1.0

I get back this:

{"count":1,"value":[{"id":"A-UUID","name":"bigbrassband","url":"https://bigbrassband.visualstudio.com/_apis/projectCollections/THAT-SAME-UUID"}]}
Brian Hulse May 31, 2018

So as far as the user and project orgs. For my user this is not my personal org. I have my own personal vsts org, and the one that I am attempting to connect this addon to is my work vsts org. When I was going through the auth steps, it did show the display name for my work vsts org so that seemed to be right.

I get the same response as you with that url (with my values obviously).

Interesting thing I noted the UUID in this json response for me does not match the value in the repository indexing log. I'm not sure if they are supposed to match or not.

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2018

That's helpful. We'll try to reproduce the same.

Those UUIDs should be different --- the UUID in our log is our own UUID for that repo.

Brian Hulse May 31, 2018

Capture.PNGIf this helps convey the situation a little better. I'm trying to connect to the org I'm a (Member) in.

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

Hi Brian,

Can you share the URL (or just path part) of the screenshot you sent above?

We setup a project scenario similar to what I think you've got and it works (I just did it personally and it's been part of our dev testing).

Here's a screenshot (from this URL):

screen.jpeg

Brian Hulse June 1, 2018

It is the same URL that you have in your post. If I follow that link I see the page I posted above.

Are there more logs I can capture or dig into to help troubleshoot?

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

So that means you have no projects/repos in your own account either? (the one you are an owner of)

Brian Hulse June 1, 2018

Ok so I did try something new and think I figured something out, not sure how close it gets us to resolution, but we'll see. I think the issue is that i'm trying to link to accounts in other organizations. I went ahead and hit the 'Create New Account' button on my page and just created a new project with a git repo in it. 

This is what my page looks like now:
Capture.PNGAnd that "MyFirstProject" shows up in my Repositories now (see below)! I'm going to see if someone else here has the org we want to connect to In their organization. Otherwise do you think there is a way for your tool to pull in these repos, or is this a pure permissions thing?

Capture1.PNG

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2018

I do think it's a pure permissions thing... I'm still experimenting here to try and get it in that same state.

Brian Hulse June 1, 2018

I invited you to my personal project with nothing on it, that may give you the same setup. Feel free to test with it, it just has an empty project with Git source.

Mark L. Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2018

Hi Brian,

I figured something out...

After your invite, VSTS now thinks that I have a work account and personal account. They each have their own access profile. But, they both have the same e-mail address.

For instance, right now I can access my brainopener and bigbrassband projects from my "work" version. If I try and access yours, I get a 401 and must sign in with my "personal" version.

If I do that, then I can access yours, but not brainopener or bigbrassband.

----

In you screenshot above, I think you may be in the same shape.

You can access the ones under Visual Studio Team Services Accounts but I bet that if you click through, you must re-sign in with a different personality (same e-mail address though) for "Accounts in Other Organizations".

----

As you click through is it making you sign out of "work" and into "home/school" ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events