Script runner fields not showing in default issue screen

Manuel Joao February 11, 2015

Hello, when i create a basic scripted field it does not show up in any of the screens i assigned it to.

When I use the admin tool "wheres my fields" it says my field should be displayed and its not.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2015

Are you sure your field is generating some output? 

Yeah im pretty sure its not even displaying on the screen, i didnt even add any script yet I just want the field to show up first before i can move to the next step

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2015

Ah, well, Jira hides empty fields. You might want to put in a script which just outputs a fixed string or something.

humm. I was expecting an empty test filed to show up in my bug entry screen, then I would add a simple script to the field to validate the user entered text in that field, are you suggesting the script runner cannot do that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2015

I think you've misunderstood what scripted fields do. They display information based on other data. Not ask the user for data. For your needs, you don't need a scripted field, because you want to enter data into it. I'd add a standard text custom field, then you need to use a "validator" to check what the users put into it later. (You can use the script runner to create customised validators)

Like Anand Dandikar likes this
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2015

Nic is correct... if the output from the script is null, or you have no script, no field will be displayed. The first step should be adding a script that just contains "foo bar" or something (including the quotes). This should then display on the screen. Then you add your business logic.

Like Anand Dandikar likes this
0 votes
Manuel Joao February 13, 2015

Thanks! with Nics advise i was able to resolve my issue. It appears you need to add a validator to your JIRA workflow in order for the field validation to show up.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events