Script Runner: Update user id doesn't work

I've just tried using the Script Runner built-in script to Rename a User ID, and it failed badly.

I previewed it, then ran it, and all looked fine, and the renamed user appeared in the user list. But...

• When the user tried to log in with his new id he got an error page
  • When I tried to click through on the user's ID from the user list I got an error message

and worst of all...

• Every other Jira user became unable to reassign issues using the user drop-down.

It looks like the index of user names became corrupted in some way.

Fortunately, running the script again to change the user id back to the original name solved all these problems.

Has anyone else used this built-in script successfully?

thanks,

Mark.

5 answers

Hi Mark,

What version of Jira and Script runner are you using? We frequently have problems with the rename script not changing the group associations or the names in custom user picker fields. Can you maybe define the error page the user gets when trying to log in? Try removing the user from all its groups before doing the rename then readding them.

Thanks for your reponse.

We're running script runner 2.1.15 with Jira 6.0.8 (build 6109).

• As admin, when I click on the newly changed user ID in the user list I get a standard brower "This web page is not available" message displayed. If I hover over the user ID I get a mesage saying "User does not exist: AXD. See attached screenshot (below). You'll also see that the user's image has disappeared

• If the user then tries to log in with their new ID they get the following error message...

Hi,

Thanks for your reponse.

We're running script runner 2.1.15 with Jira 6.0.8 (build 6109).

• As admin, when I click on the newly changed user ID in the user list I get a standard brower "This web page is not available" message displayed. If I hover over the user ID I get a mesage saying "User does not exist: AXD. See attached screenshot (below). You'll also see that the user's image has disappeared

• If the user then tries to log in with their new ID they get the following error message...

Mark Love · 36 karma · Jan 03 at 11:54 AM

I've just tried removing the user from all groups prior to running the rename script, but exactly the same thing happens.

Hi Mark,

I'm not very familiar iwth 6.0 upwards, but I was able to find the following, it might help

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Login+Fails+With+the+Message+-+User+exists+but+has+no+unique+key+mapping

I too am experiencing the same issue. Mark's mention of -

"Fortunately, running the script again to change the user id back to the original name solved all these problems."

- did fix the problem but still leaves me unable to change a username within JIRA. This was attempted on a local JIRA directory account. Has anyone found further information?

I've just tried removing the user from all groups prior to running the rename script, but exactly the same thing happens.

Hi Mark,

I'm not very familiar iwth 6.0 upwards, but I was able to find the following, it might help

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Login+Fails+With+the+Message+-+User+exists+but+has+no+unique+key+mapping

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jul 10, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

If you’re an Atlassian app developer, you’ll want to know about Atlas Camp!

This September 6-7, hundreds of Atlassian App developers will flock to Barcelona Spain to build skills, discover product roadmaps, meet face-to-face with the Atlassian team, and learn how to extend t...

181 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you