Question about BitBucket Plugin "PR Squash"

artinia
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 2, 2017

When merging a pull request into master branch, does this plugin provide an option to rebase onto master rather than the normal merge? Normal merge will introduce an unnecessary "merge" commit and a small loop in the revision history (see below). Is it possible to make the history of master branch 100% linear using this plugin? In another word, can we get rid of the "Merge Pull Request ##" commit using it?

image2017-1-3 18:7:33.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
G__Sylvie_Davies__bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2017

I recommend my add-on for squashing pull-requests (Bit-Booster for Bitbucket Server).

Once you've squashed you can later merge with "--ff-only" if you're on Bitbucket 4.9 or newer and your repo's settings allow such:

(repo --> settings --> pull requests --> merge strategies --> [x] Fast-forward only --ff-only).

Here's a screenshot of Bit-Booster's Squash button on the pull-request screen. Notice it also let's you select the author for the final squashed commit:

squash-latest.png

Here's a source branch before it's squashed:

step1-before-dia.png

My add-on pushes the squash back to the source branch (using "git push --force").  It doesn't touch the "master" branch (or whatever branch your PR is targeting). Instead it let's you edit your source branch according to your needs before you merge:

step3-after.png

If you're on Bitbucket 4.9 or newer, make the "[x] Fast-forward only" merge strategy available in your reposistory's settings.  That way you can merge like this:

step4-ff-only.png

The final result pops that commit directly on top of you "master" branch, without any merge commit:

step5-merged.png

p.s.  All of the commit graphs come from the "All Branches Graph" feature of my add-on (Bit-Booster for Bitbucket Server).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events