Old and New Value from Cascading Select

I have a listener on issue update and I need to get the old and new values of all the fields that were modified. I have this set up by doing the following:

List changeItems = event.getChangeLog().getRelated("ChildChangeItem")

I then iterate through the changeItems and get the information I need using oldstring and newstring. The problem is with the Cascading Select field type of which we have a few. Instead of giving just the string of the value like the other issue types it instead gives a string in the form "Parent values: FirstValue(xxxxx)Level 1 values: SecondValue(xxxxx)" where FirstValue and SecondValue are the actual selected options. Is there anyway to get the old and new cascading select options without all the extra information?

1 answer

1 accepted

Is oldvalue and newvalue any better? The old and new "string" are the display values and not that useful.

However this is something that JIRA is not particularly good at, you always lose type information for the historical values. If all else fails you may need to parse it with a regex.

I only get null for oldvalue and newvalue for the Cascading Selects. I was hoping maybe there was some kind of method I overlooked and I wanted to stay away from parsing, but it looks like that might be my only option for this type of field.

Like I said, this is an area of weakness in jira. If you can use a post-function then you can get better info.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,412 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you