Issues registering add-on while going through ACE tutorial

Sophia Chen April 17, 2019

I've looked at all the different Q&A's available on this subject and I still do not have a solution. It has never worked for me. Atlassian servers were never down so that's a non-issue here.

The user I am using to access the API has VIEW and EDIT access to the Confluence space I want. I can successfully get data using the CURL requests (given by the extensive documentation). 

Unfortunately, when I'm trying to run through this tutorial:
https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/atlassian-connect-express/src

I always get this on 'npm start':

Registering add-on...
Failed to register with host https://<username@email.com>:<token>@<my-company>.atlassian.net/wiki (401)
Must have permission to access this resource.
Add-on not registered; no compatible hosts detected

My credentials.json looks like this:

{ "hosts": {
"<my-company>.atlassian.net": {
"product": "confluence",
"username": "<username@email.com>",
"password": "<token>" } }}

I know my user has the access (otherwise I'd fail to get anything when going directly to the page or through the CURL requests).

Additionally I've made sure that Development Mode is enabled (and has always been enabled).

Without being able to register, authentication cannot occur and fails.

Any ideas here? 

1 answer

0 votes
Ian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2019

Hello @Sophia Chen

To install apps in your instance, you would need administrator access which also applies when installing your app via ACE. Having said that, you can either request to have admin access granted to your account or use an admin's credentials (I'm not saying it will be allowed though :) ).

If you are in the exploration and development stage, I would suggest that you create a dev instance first in go.atlassian.com/cloud-dev. There you will be the site-admin and will have the necessary powers to test your connect app.

Hope this helps.

Ian

saferreira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 16, 2021

UPDATE:

I was finally able to connect! The solution, as expected, had to be something very simple, not obvious, and totally absent from the documentation!!! Here it is: add 'https://' to your atlassian domain URL in the credentials.json file. Like this:

{
    "hosts" : {
          "product" : "confluence",
          "username" : "youremail@yourdomain.com",
          "password" : "yourapikey"
       }
    }
 }
While I am relieved that this resolved it, I am still very disappointed in my experience with Atlassian documentation - and not only regarding this issue. My project is for work and I already wasted almost 3 weeks trying to connect to the API (and I tried many, many different approaches and recommendations, not just ACE).

----

Ian,

... except that it didn't help: in my case, alas identical to the one described by Sophia, I am using the development site as recommended - to which I am supposedly the admin and should allow me to register my app via ACE. So, can you or anyone help? This is two years after that post, and it seems to still be a problem. Atlassian documentation and sample tutorials are grossly outdated or wrong, that's the conclusion I am reaching after 3 weeks of trying to get this to work whichever way it's documented by Atlassian! Can you please point us to updated, accurate versions?

BTW, the example code and project are outdated and it generates many deprecation or vulnerability warnings in Node, as well.

Can anyone please help, at all? Thanks.

Łukasz Pieczątka {Appfire}
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2022

This solution worked in my case, I was trying to run confluence-helloworld-plugin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events