Insight/Jira: Adding a selectedt objects related object to an issues custom field

Johannes Buverud
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2018

Use case:

We have an object type "User" populated with the same users as the ones having an account in Jira. The object type has (among others) an attribute named "User Location". "User Location" is of type Object, which referes to the object type "Site". "Site" has (among others) an attribute named "Site Address". I.E. like this:

- Object type: "User", attributes "User Name" (Default/Text) and "User Location" (Object/Site)

- Object type: "Site", attributes "Site Name (Default/Text) and "Site Address" (Default/Text)

When a customer reports an issue, we need to record "Site Name" and "Site Address" on the issue. (This is so that we can pick up these fields with other plug-ins.)

Could we maybe run a Jira post function script, picking those values somehow from the related insight objects and store them on a regular Jira custom field?

1 answer

1 vote
Asparuh Stanev March 20, 2018

Duplicate to the answer provided in the ticket. 

You can accomplish the scenario using Insight Custom Fields. For example lets assume you want to collect the values of the object type "Site Name". Create Insight Custom Field that points to the object schema where the object type is. In the Filter Scope (IQL) write something like: objectType = "Site Name" - this will assure that for that custom field you will get the objects under "Site Name". In the Filter Issue Scope (IQL) you can set if that custom field is somehow related to another custom field in the issue - that could be any kind of custom field and not only for Insight Custom Fields. 

In the Filter Assign Scope (IQL) you can write something like: "User Name" = ${Reporter} - this will assure that you will get only objects that are referenced by that user name that is the current reporter. And in the field named "Object attributes on Issue view" you can write "User Location" this is the attribute that will be shown on the created issue.

That scenario is however limited in providing the exact steps. However you can use it as a base to accomplish your use case. The Insight Custom Fields are populated to the Jira issue automatically but you can use Insight Post Functions for more automation if needed. 

Please take a look at our documentation - https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/insight-administrator-s-guide/insight-custom-fields/default-insight-custom-field

Johannes Buverud
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2018

Hi Asparuh,

Please excuse me if I have expressed myself unclear, or if I have misunderstood your answer:)

It sounds like your proposal is that the "Site"-value is added manually when creating the issue? If so, I am afraid this is not a viable solution.

The registration of the issues is mostly done by our call center. They are very focused on not having to fill in more than necessary, and when the only selectable value always is limited to only one choise (the users "Site"), it would make this extra manual step seems unnecessary. 

I am looking for a solution where certain custom fields (not insight fields) on the issue automatically are populated based on a insight custom field (in our case, typically provided by the call center person).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events