Copy content of KCF Interval to Original Estimate

Mike Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2013

Hi,

When I create an issue I have replaced the time tracking with an Interval Custom Field called 'Proposed Estimate'. The intention is that a user would create the issue with a proposed time and the PM would approve it. When the Issue is approved I want to copy the value from 'Propsed Estimate' in to 'Original Estimae' and 'Remaining Estimate'. I have a number of plugins providing me with these possiblilities but they all seem to have an issue that I can't copy a interval in to a number field.

Is there a way of getting the numerical value from the Interval Field? I noticed somthing about SIL in conjunction with Interval Fields, could this help?

Are there any other solutions to this?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

This comment from Radu Dumitriu

was my solution, here is the scipt I created in the end...

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.project.Project
import org.apache.log4j.Category

def Category log = Category.getInstance("com.onresolve.jira.groovy.PostFunction")
log.setLevel(org.apache.log4j.Level.DEBUG)
log.info("Starting GroovyScript MoveProposedEstToOrigEstimate")

MutableIssue issue = issue
Project project = issue.getProjectObject()
log.debug("Working with Issue " + issue.getKey() + " ("+project.getName()+")")
ComponentManager componentManager = ComponentManager.getInstance();
CustomField proposedEstimateCustomField = componentManager.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Proposed Estimate")
CustomField budgetedEstimateCustomField = componentManager.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Budgeted Estimate")
def proposedEstimate = issue.getCustomFieldValue(proposedEstimateCustomField)
log.debug("Proposed estimate is "+proposedEstimate)
issue.setOriginalEstimate(proposedEstimate.round())
issue.setEstimate(proposedEstimate.round())
issue.setCustomFieldValue(budgetedEstimateCustomField,proposedEstimate)
budgetedEstimateCustomField.
issue.store()
log.debug("New original estimate is "+issue.getOriginalEstimate())
log.debug("New remaining estimate is "+issue.getEstimate())
log.debug("New budgeted estimate is "+issue.getCustomFieldValue(budgetedEstimateCustomField))

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013

Happy to be of any help ! That was easy, wasn't it ?

Raju Adluru February 20, 2015

Hi Radu I used above script to copy value from custom field(number) to original estimate, it is copying, but shows in seconds, how to convert that to hours, thanks for your help Raju

0 votes
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

The interval custom field from KCF is in fact a number custom field that is displayed differently, so the value stored for it in the database is numeric (in seconds). However, it's designed so that its string representation uses the interval format ("1d 2h"). What plugins are you trying to use to accomplish this ?

Mike Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

Thanks for your quick response;

I have a few plugins for workflow transitions

• JIRA Suite Utilities
  • JIRA Workflow Toolbox
  • JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions

From these I have tried to use the following post functions for this...

• Copy Value From Field to Field - Copies the value(s) of one field to another field. Can copy the value of the field before it was changed on the transition's screen.'
  • Set a field from a set of rules based on regular expressions - Sets a field from a set of rules based on regular expressions.

The first one at least let me configure the post function, when I tested it though it gave an error saving somthing along the lines of invalid workflow contact your admin.

The second one indicated the error in the workflow view, gave an XML error but I believe the real error is to do with trying to move an invalid value type in to the original estimate.

If you know of a valid post function to achieve this it would be great!

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

Normally we'll use that to do cross-sales with JJupin or Blitz Actions =) LOL

The idea is very simple, as my colleague told you, the stored value is the interval, in seconds, but this is a double value, from what I see in the code (this is to provide better support for one of the above plugins ).

The reason it doesn't work is that you will need to transform the value provided by the CF into something meaningful for your destination CF, i.e. you need to call something like (pseudocode):

Double val = (Double) issue.getCustomFieldValue(cfDesc);

issue.setOriginalEstimate(val.longValue());

//save the issue.

For that, I may suggest Jamie's Script Runner (which is free). Of course (cause I cannot skip over the cross-sales thing :) ), in JJupin the above is done like this:

originalEstimate = customfield_12345;

or:

originalEstimate = #{Proposed Estimate};

Edit: Let us know if you have issues with that (email us if you need more info, etc ...)

Mike Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 3, 2013

Thanks for the help, I have the script runner installed and am currently writing some scripts for it. I figured that I would have to go down this route. Will be in touch if I have any questions!

Cheers!

Mike Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013

I suspect that my main issue was caused by the Original Estimate expecting a long and the Interval Csutom Field containing a double.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events