Can the PlaySQL plugin be configured to work more like a live search that searches a datasource?

Marsha Dorsey January 3, 2013

I was wanting to be able to search an element (column) within a database. So instead of a user typing out a full select statement all they would need to do is enter an element(attribute) like Element_Name and it would query the element name from a database. This is so a none technical user would be able to search attributes in a database. Pretty much it would function similar to a live search but instead of searching within confluence it will search a connected oracle datasource.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2013

I've just released Play SQL 1.2.0 to make this feature available. I've designed it so you can ask users for a parameter:

User Parameters

There are more explanations available on the blog post: Dynamic User Parameters

1 vote
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2013
Exciting suggestion! So you would want a field above the table, which you could use as query parameter. I can see how useful it could be. It's not yet possible in Play SQL but I'll see whether I can do something and I'll post the answer here.
Cheers,
Nicolas
Marsha Dorsey January 8, 2013

This would complete the needs for management. We are moving our Wiki into confluence and in our previous Wiki environment we had an application called the Element Data Dictionary where users would query an element from a database to get its definition. The code for this application was written in ASP classic which is not compatable with confluence currently our only major road block.

0 votes
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2013

Since the version 1.1.0, you can select "Generic Datasource" when your database is neither HSQL nor Postgres. Here is a blog post about How to Connect Play SQL with an Oracle Database. I've tried it and it works, but the following advanced functions will be disabled:

• Table and Column name autocomplete in the SQL editor,
  • It could happen that I don't notice other minor bugs, so please send me a bug report when it happens.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events