Can JEMH write an incoming email as a comment and to a custom field?

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2013

I've been asked to implement a process whereby an engineer can send an email to our JIRA server and have that email added as a comment to a specified issue (straightforward) *AND* have that comment copied to a custom field on that issue (not straightforward).

Is this something that JEMH can do if I used that instead of the normal JIRA email handler?

Thanks.

3 answers

0 votes
Moran Alon January 14, 2014

I want to do somthing similar to what you described. I want a custom field that will be updated each time a non jira user reply from email- adds a comment to the issue. A field that will be used as a verification or Indicatin that the comment came from email. Two questions:

1. Where is the Comment Perfix in the JEMH configuration?

2. The comment from non-jira users could come in sevral transitions, so I have a problem putting Post Function, I want it to be updated as a flag field that exists for each issue. Is it possibale, and if it is, how do I do it?

Thanks.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2013

JEMH cant currently also copy comments to custom fields (but its not been asked for before!). One possibility is to enable the Comment Prefix (indicating in the comment that it came from email) and use a PostFunction with ScriptRunner to check the text, and if it came from email, update the custom field.

Another way using JEMH alone is manual, with two Directives, one to set Your Field, one to add the Comment, effectively the same information, but gives opportunity to add extra layout:

@Your Field = This is some

multiline content

@comment = See above: {quote}

<copy/paste>

{quote}

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2013

I have been stewing over this question for a while, and I don't think that this is going to be possible. My first thought was to use directives, but I don't think that will work. I was also tempted to suggest that the comment event may work, but seeing as you only wanted it to occur when emailed in, I'm certain that won't work. Do you have a particular use case? There may be a different way that JEMH can be configured to meet the need that you have?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events