43 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Deepali Patwadkar August 10, 2014

EUREKA!!!

Here is how I solved this problem ...

Say you have 300 tests to be executed.

Steps:

1. Create Filter_A to filter out 50 tests (not all 300) that are to be assigned to Tester_A.
  2. Add these 50 tests "via Filter_A" to the Test_Execution_Cycle
  3. Go to Tester_A desk.
  4. Search the Test_Execution_Cycle for all un-executed tests.
  5. Bulk Change the status of all 50 tests to "WIP".
  6. Now the tests have "ExecutedBy = Tester_A"

Repeat above steps for every tester. Ensuring that the 300 tests are covered in various filters. Note: By using Jira filters, you have labels, assignee, custom fields, and everything else to filter by.

At the end of above exercise, you have a test execution cycle, with all tests marked "WIP". Plus every test has the name of the assigned tester in "ExecutedBy"

Now testers just filter out their tests with:

cycleName = Test_Execution_Cycle AND executedBy = <Tester_A>

Tester's issue of seeing assigned tests is solved. And all under ONE execution cycle.

* This works if you have a small number of testers.

Deirdra Strangio August 10, 2014

LOL

* That also only works if you have local or desktop control of Tester A

Doug Burns August 28, 2014

Nice work Deepali! We have been struggling through mutiple possible workflows and this may be the interim solutin we need.

Thanks!

rsud September 19, 2014

Actually, if you are the Admin, this should be okay to do...Agreed with the others that Zephyr needs to incorporate this ASAP

0 votes
Celina Kincaid August 7, 2014

I couldn't agree more. I've had to split up our regression tests into separate run cycles with our named QA engineers and then I copy from them each iteration. It's a viable work around but rediculous.

0 votes
Pedro Perez June 5, 2014

Is there seriously still no way to assign a test cycle to a person? Doesn't that seem like basic functionality that everybody would need?

Tester A is assigned to Test Cycles 1 and 3.

Tester B is assigned to Test Cycles 2 and 4.

Seems like a normal use case that test management software would have? Is there any timeframe on getting some basic functionality added?

0 votes
Deirdra Strangio June 5, 2014

I am just starting to use Zephyr and I am running into the issue where I want to assign Test Execution and not the Test ticket.

Our workflow is:

1. Create a Test ticket
  2. Fill out desired fields
  3. Once the Test ticket is finalized, close it as “Done”
  4. The Test ticket is now a regression
  5. Add the Test ticket to a Test Cycle per Version

Now the nice thing is each Test ticket records the Cycle, Version, and Executor.

The bad thing is once a Test ticket is closed, you can no longer assign the Test ticket unless you reopen it, but this breaks the definition of done for a Test ticket (at least for my team). Assigning an Execution record to a user would be far preferable.

The ways some members of our team (since we have sub QA teams and cross product members) have come up with that are not ideal:

• Constently Clone Test tickets for each Sprint or Version causing DB over head
  • Keeping Test tickets open indefinitly causing an intermediat Sprint holding box to keep them all in

Another issue is that since a Cycle is assocciated with a Version and not a Sprint, we end up regressing the same Execution with in a Version which could produce different outcomes depending on the work done during each sprint.

The only way around that which is also not idea is:

1. Create a Cycle for a Version
  2. Clone the Cycle per Sprint in the same Version with some sort of naming convention. If adding the Sprint name could be problimatic since there is an option to change the Sprint name in mid stream.
  3. Execute that per Sprint

This method does not show that the Execution happened in which Sprint in the Test ticket Execution area/section. It would be nice to have an Execution assocciated with a Sprint also.

Another issue I am finding with the Test Steps are they are some times unreadable due to no formatting. I can see a reason for not formatting since you can export via Excel, but as a user, the readability is more important viewing a complex Test Step.

0 votes
Marc Satter June 3, 2014

This is a feature we also will need. Soft assignment would be fine for our use. Test lead permissions would be nice, but it is much more important to have the assignment ability now rather than wait for it to be packaged with permissions.

Please implement this in the next update.

0 votes
Julien April 25, 2014

Hello

Soft assignment sounds good to me easy and quick. Also it would be nice to assign tests from the test cycle view directly.

Also could we have a way to plan multiple time the same test case in a test cycle with a particular set of requirements such as:

- TC: Share on Twitter Requirements: iPad2 Assigned To: Pierre
- TC: Share on Twitter Requirements: iPhone5s Assigned To: Paul
- TC: Share on Twitter Requirements: Nexus5 Assigned To: Jacques

Don't know if it makes sense to others but in my case it would save a lot of time cloning issues and maintaining them.

Thanks,
Julien.

0 votes
Stefan M April 22, 2014

We are currently evaluating Zephyr for Jira and assignment of test executions to testers is also one main feature we are missing. As for the question above, we would prefer the "soft assignment" variant (without complicated permissions) - basically we need to assign, view and filter for testers in test cycles.

@Zephyr: May I ask for the current status of this requirement? It seems to be important to a lot of people, but latest update is from Apr '13.

Best regards,

Stefan

0 votes
Celina Kincaid March 10, 2014

NEED.THIS! Come on please!

0 votes
tristan le nours October 2, 2013

Hi Chris,

is the testcase assignement included in zephyr for jira 2.0 ?

We start to use it in my company and expectations are important. So I add my voice other to vote for this feature. Nice tool by the way!

Best regards

0 votes
Karen DuBrucq April 4, 2013

As long as anyone can change the test case assignment, either the hard or soft case works for me. I need to be able to see who is assigned various tests in various views, such as the test cycle view. I'd also like to be able to sort by assignee. Being able to bulk edit this field is important as well.

Keep things simple and don't add complicated persmission schemes.

thanks for asking

Karen

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2013

Hi Ahjaz,

I have noted your voice in the list for this feature request. Per company policy, I am unable to share exact time frames of features coming in future releases.

Kind Regards,

Chris

0 votes
Ahjaz Hussain April 3, 2013

Hi Chris,

With reference to the above topic, please advise the time frame for the new release of Zephyr which includes the ability to assign and reassign test cases upon creation and execution.

Look forward to your reply

Regards

Ahjaz

0 votes
Karen DuBrucq March 24, 2013

I hope this is top of the list for next release. We could really use the ability to assign test instances to different people and to see the status of a set of tests by assignee.

0 votes
Stéphane Genin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

Hi,

We also need to assign a test execution to a user.We are developing software that runs in different environment, and for some tests, we have testers per environment, not per functional domains. That means that a test case can be run on Windows and on Linux (test execution), and I need to be able to assign the test execution to different users.

Stéphane

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2013

Hi Geebubya,

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Chris

0 votes
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013

Hi Ahjaz,

I'm sorry, but it hasn't been implemented yet. It is still in the hopper for a future release.

Kind Regards,

Chris

graham white February 6, 2013

Hi Chris

I'd say this was fundamental to us purchasing Zephyr.

We've been trailing Zephyr on one of our tests cycles, but folk were finding his a major inconvenience.

Thanks

Geedubya

0 votes
Ahjaz Hussain January 16, 2013

Hi Chris, has this been implemented....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events