creating issues via email?

agouaux November 25, 2012

What options exist to pull the address in the "From" header of an email message and storing that field into a custom field, a field that can then be used in the notification scheme so that non-JIRA users will recieve updates for that issue? Looks like the built-in Mail Handler for creating issues via email takes care of most of what's needed, at least at a basic level. However, it would be nice if it could handle non-JIRA users a bit better than just placing that address in the description of the issue.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012

The system doesn't really handle Non-Jira users. Several ways you can approach things:

1) Enable account creation on submission of an email. This will allow Jira to handle everything through itself and a user account can be created for the user. This enables you to leverage the existing watches and notification scheme processes inside core Jira. Down side to this - licensing.

2) If you do not want to enable that, you'll need to go to a plugin that enables the functionality you are looking for. Jira Enterprise Mail Handler is one of them. I use it on one of my Jira instances. It's nice. Andy does a good job of updating and explaining the roadmap.

3) Build your own plugin - What you are looking to do is kind of outside of core Jira. You are talking about interrupting the mail receiving process, scraping information, storing it, and then processing it. Jira functions off out an idea that a user is an entity. You are either a defined entity, or you are "anonoymous."

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 7, 2013

Hi,

Email This Issue plugin has a mail handler that can save the sender's email address in a custom field of your choice.

Also an automatic reply email may be sent to the sender (even in case non-JIRA users) acknowledging the new issue.

Tibor

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012
Indeed. I suggest JEMH. a monster of a plugin.
0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2012

I can't speak to this plugin, but JEMH has full support for non-JIRA users, see the tutorial.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events