Xray Cloud how to find tests without test execution

Cristina de la Torriente April 25, 2019

We have a strutucte with test plan, linked to test executions, and linked to test sets. Test cases are added to one or several test sets, test sets are then added to test executions. There are several testers creating test cases, so we want to be able to double check that all test cases are added to at least one test execution.

Is there a way to create a filter to find that information when using Xray Cloud?

Thanks in advance for any help on the topic.

5 answers

1 vote
Pierre Dauzat
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 8, 2020

Hi,

I am a bit late, but maybe it will be useful ...

You can use the JQL function "testExecutionTests"  (https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY/Enhanced+querying+with+JQL).

"Parameter P1 can either be a single Test Execution issue key, an ID or a saved filter containing multiple Test Execution issues."

You create a filter with all your test Execution (like issuetype = "Test Execution"). Register it with a name like "All Test Execution".

Then, the list of Test without Test Execution will be the result of :

issuetype = Test AND issue not in testExecutionTests("All Test Execution")

Maryna Vaskovska
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 16, 2021

It is not supported by Cloud

Cristina de la Torriente February 17, 2021

Exactly, it doesn't work with Cloud version

Maryna Vaskovska
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2021

Hi Cristina, 

Have you found any other solution? I have the same problem to solve and I was not able to come up with some more or less effective way to do this (apart from checking each test manually). 

Cristina de la Torriente February 17, 2021

Nope, sorry, I didn't find any so I had to check it manually, which is a pain, as I'm sure you have experienced.

Hope that they add this feature in the near future, it is quite needed.

Like Maryna Vaskovska likes this
Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2021

Hi @Cristina de la Torriente  

The option shown by @Inês Silva has a defect and it may disappear; we are working to fix it very soon.

Whenever there is any issue with the product, please contact the Xray Support (http://xraysupport.xpand-it.com) so that we can take care of it.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Roman Velingard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 18, 2021

Dear Xray people, do you have a solution for this search? is the function testExecutionTests on the cloud?

0 votes
Maksym_Kuchuran June 30, 2021

@Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter  

Do you know whether this feature is gonna to be implemented at all in XRay Cloud?

"testExecutionTests

Thank you.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2021

Hi @Maksym_Kuchuran 

We didn't develop this due to the architecture of Jira Cloud, where Jira is running on one Server, and Xray (like any other app) runs on another server.

Since Jira and Xray don't share a common database, it is not technically possible to implement this feature.

If the architecture changes in the future, it might be possible, but currently, it is not.

It is necessary to resort to the reports to get the information; in this case, you can use the Test Run List report.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

0 votes
Nirmala rani
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 28, 2020

A small tweak in the above query. We can also directly use the TestExecution number.

issuetype = Test AND issue not in testExecutionTests("test-1169")

Replace test-1169 with your test execution id. Hope it helps...!

0 votes
Inês Silva
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2019

Hi Cristina,

You can use the Filter to show you only the Tests without Executions, like you can see on the following screenshot:

screenshot-2.png

Best regards,

Xray Team

Cristina de la Torriente May 13, 2019

Hi Inês,

Thanks for your suggestion, I will try it, even though it seems a bit cumbersome. To be able to filter test cases without test execution, I will need to create a dummy test plan, add all my test cases and add all my test executions; and then filter. Once the test cases are identified, then I can delete the test plan again.

Nice functionality to have in the future would be to be able search test cases linked to at least one test set  :-)

Best regards,

Cristina

Inês Silva
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2019

Hi Cristina,

Thank you for your suggestion, we will take it into account!

Best regards,
Xray Team

Truman Chau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 14, 2020

I am using X-Ray also, but I do not see a Filter option for  toggling on/off the "Tests without Execution".  How do I add that option?

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2021

Hi @Truman Chau 

The option has a defect and may disappear; we are working to fix it very soon.

Whenever there is any issue with the product, please contact the Xray Support (http://xraysupport.xpand-it.com) so that we can take care of it.

Kind regards,

0 votes
Brian Walker May 8, 2019

Hi Cristina,

Not sure about Xray but the App which I am using it has the capability to arrange my test cases in a folder based hierarchy and get the latest execution on the screen. Also, I can refer a different reporting option to track the execution and overall testing progress. 

Brian. 

Cristina de la Torriente May 8, 2019

Hi Brian,

Which app ar you using? I'm afraid we are bound to use xray in the project I'm working in, so I'm more interested in finding a solution with xray. But it is good to have information about other apps, just in case.

Cristina

Like Olena Imfeld likes this
Brian Walker May 8, 2019

Hey I am using QMetry for Jira - Test Management app.

Like Sahashraanshu likes this
Cristina de la Torriente May 8, 2019

thanks, I'll have a look at it. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events