Vewing Permissions on Restricted Pages

Kristin Hannon April 5, 2013

In my documentation I have an image index that is on a "Restricted" page that is not viewable except by an admin. However, I would have assumed that the pictures that are used throughout the documentation that "live" on the image index on the Resticted page would be viewable to non-admin users. This is not the case.

Currently I have to allow the non-admin users to the see the Restricted page so that the pictures show up properly in the rest of the documentation.

Is there a cleaner way to do this? Can I hide page and still get the pictures populating the documentation?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristin Hannon April 21, 2013

Answering my own question.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2013

Could you provide the solution you found?

2 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2013

Why not move the pictures that you want everyone to be able to see on a separate page from the ones that you don't want them to see? Have an "all users" picture page, and a "restrictured" picture page.

I don't want the image index to show anywhere. This is a client facing documentation as well. I don't have any problems with the HTML export for the clients, but the internal co-workers need to be able to see the pictures on the pages, but not the actual page with the attachments.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

Then why not only add the images to the pages that you want visible? Do you have the same image loading on multiple user facing pages?

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

So you want to be able to embed an image into the page, but you don't want the user to be able to download the file?

The problem with adding the pictures directly to the pages is that the attachments show up in a list at the bottom of the HTML pages for the client to see. That was the original reason to move the image index to a restricted page so that it won't get exported. Thus, the client facing pages are clean-looking

No, I am perfectly happy with the way the client pages look and feel. It's on the internal side where the issue is. I would like my co-workers to be able to view my pages so that they can add suggestions to a blog. They have view-only access. They can't view the Restricted page which includes the image index. I have to give them view access also to the Restricted page so that the images that live in the Restricted image index will actually show up in the rest of the document (the part that I want them to comment on) I wanted what they see to feel as much like what the Client sees so that they don't ask questions such as "They shouldn't be able to see....?"

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

Okay, lemme see if I got it straight:

* you don't want to attach images to the pages where you have them displayed for other users because you don't like the attachment icon displayed on the page

* you don't like your current solution of hosting them on another page, because you have to make it unrestricted so that users can view the images when they are on other pages

? Because if that's correct, the only options I see are my original suggestion that you make a separate page for only the images you want visible to all users, or host the images somewhere else (outside the Confluence instance) and embed them into the Confluence pages using a macro.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2013

I'm sorry you don't like my answer, but can you at least comment that my proposed solutions don't meet what you were looking for instead of downvoting it? So far, no one else seems to have any answers so mine very well may be the only one you are getting - I don't dictate Atlassian code, I'm only trying to help you find the information you need.

0 votes
Kristin Hannon April 21, 2013

I decided to send out an internal email asking for ignorance of the Restricted Page. The users cannot change anyting on the page because they have view only access. I just didn't want them to get confused.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events