Tempo report: by account but per team

Ingrid Sluimer March 30, 2014

Hi all,

The Tempo gadget "Total Hours" is very useful to us - it shows the distribution of worked hours over accounts, per month. However, I need a similar view/chart/report per team. So my question is: how do I get a view that displays, for a single team only, for a single month only, the distribution of worked hours per account?

I know I can add "account" as a column in the Team Time Report for the month, but a column is useless here - it would only make sense for us to have it as a row (for example in stead of users, or as an alternative to the per-user breakdown that now works on projects or fixVersions).

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ingrid Sluimer April 6, 2014

Hi all,

I found a Tempo feature request for this: JTMPO-472 "Team hours gadget" (on tempoplugin.jira.com). I have voted for that, I hope others will as well.

I will close this question and follow the feature request instead.
Kind regards,

Ingrid.

0 votes
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2014

Hi Ingrid,

you might be able to achieve this using the Workload Distribution Gadget (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO078/Worklog+Distribution+Gadget). This gadget was released in Tempo Timesheets 7.8. In the same version we also released the Teams Custom Field, so now you can connect an Issue to a Team (see https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEAMS/Teams+Custom+Field) .

With both Teams and Accounts as Custom fields, you can create an issue filter by these fields. This filter can then be used in the Workload Distribution Gadget and in the Advanced timesheet.

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

Susanne

Ingrid Sluimer April 1, 2014

Hi Susanne,

Thank you for your answer, an interesting suggestion. I have tried this, but it gives me the same problem as with other filter-based approaches: the filters work on issues and their properties, not on worklogs. I am in the situation that I can have work logged by 2 teams on 1 issue.

For example: an issue is connected to team A, and a member of team A works on it, then it turns out it should be assigned to team B instead, and a member of team B works on it. The issue will now be connected to team B, and show up in the team B filters, and all worked hours will be reported using a team B filter (hours worked by team A and by team B on this issue). But actually I want the hours worked by team A to NOT show up here.

For now I use the workaround of exporting logs to excel at the end of each month, and creating graphs from excel queries.

It is a shame that the gadgets and reports do not support this, but I am glad to know that I can stop searching. I find that both Accounts and Teams are such great strengths that Tempo adds to JIRA, so it surprises me the exact intersection of those two cannot be visualized.

Thank you and kind regards,

Ingrid.

David Ringe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 8, 2015

I want to add to this as well. We also have the situation where there might be multiple teams working on an issue (sometimes simultaneously). As a result, we cannot populate the Team field since only one team can be populated at a time. As a result, we have no way of matching hours spent on an issue by account and team (as derived from the team membership of the user entering the worklog).

Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2015

It is not easy to solve this if no Team is set on the issue as users can be members in more than one Team. You might be able to create a workaround for this problem by creating a Worklog attribute (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO0711/Worklog+Attributes+Types, Dynamic drop-down, Select List) for Teams. When a user logs work on an Issue, he can then set the Team that he is working in to the worklog. The Account timesheet will show these attributes in the Report and List view of the Timesheet. When exporting this Timesheet to Excel, you can pivot the table to show only data you are interested in (see also http://blog.tempoplugin.com/2012/pivoting-tempo-and-jira-reports-using-excel/ for more information)

Kathy Plamann February 12, 2015

Has anyone tried writing there own gadget to tie team and account? How about using t-sql to query the database--has anyone had success in doing this?

David Ringe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 12, 2015

We're trying a few things: 1) We're in the process of attempting to write our own gadget, but it is predicated on the logic that each user is only a member of one team (which was our intention to begin with) 2) We're evaluating the easyBI plugin, which supposedly can consume Tempo Team data using the REST API 3) We had a recommendation for Tempo. Namely, allow the Tempo Team to be a worklog attribute, then provide a user preference that allows them to have a default team. When a user goes to submit a worklog, it should auto-populate the attribute from their default team user preference, but would enable override if submitting against a non-default team. This doesn't solve the need to put things in a gadget, but its a great step in at least being able to aggregate by Tempo team, which currently is not possible.

Like Peter Rawlings likes this
Kathy Plamann February 13, 2015

Thanks for your reply David! I did a trial install of easyBI plugin and I am also looking at #3 option. I am trying to figure out how to provide a user preference that allows them to hava a default team. My intention was to write a gadget also but I had to implement jira last month and tempo this month and confluence next month. Time and resources are issues.

David Ringe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2015

Hi Kathy - #3 was a recommendation for the Tempo guys to implement. I don't think that recommendation is currently supported...

Kathy Plamann February 13, 2015

David thanks for letting me know. I can save some time on trying to create the default team. It would be nice to have a team option on the user level but I guess not yet.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events