Tasks not inheriting label from epic using automation

Ben Kojis January 7, 2022

1. I have an epic that has a label. (see first screenshot)

2. I am wanting to have that label be applied to new issue (a task type) that's linked to the epic. (see first screenshot)

3. I built an automation rule that I think should accomplish this. (See 2nd screenshot)

I've also tried 'add labels from epic', setting the label to 'Copy from Parent' as well as 'Copy from Epic', etc.

Where am I going wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.24.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-07 at 2.27.58 PM.png

3 answers

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2022

Hey @Ben Kojis 

You are almost there, one thing you must include is the branch to check if the issue created as "Epic" as parent. So please check this out rule, it works.

In Edit issue field for labels provide "Copy from Epic" option.

Inherit_Epic_Labels.png

Regards,

Vishwas

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

Hey Ben - What type of project are you using? Team-managed? Company-managed?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

Since it is Team-managed, you will need to use parent and not Epic Link. 

So what happens when it runs? Can you include the audit log?

Ben Kojis January 10, 2022

@John Funk - I'm going to stick w/ this thread for now and will circle back on @Vishwas 's.

1. I kept the basic logic we had in place; however, switched out 'copy from parent' as you had suggested.

2. I then created a new ticket associated w/ the Epic

3. And checked the audit log (thank you for pointing this out)

You'll note in the screenshots below, that it seemingly ran successfully for ENROLL-133; however, when I go to the ticket, the label does not appear. 

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 10.21.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-10 at 10.21.43 AM.png

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2022

Hey @Ben Kojis 

You may have to use "Branch" feature with "if Epic exists" condition thing to check if epic exists and copy from there. Did you give a try with the rule I had sent and got same issue ?

Regards,

Vishwas

Ben Kojis January 12, 2022

Hey @Vishwas , thanks for the thought here. I didn't have any luck w/ the following. I'm curious if you (or anyone else) have other ideas.

1. Your original suggested rules - the only difference being I couldn't use logic of 'exists', I had to use 'is not empty'. And then again, I'm using 'Copy from Parent' as @John had suggested. Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 4.51.24 PM.png 2. I also tried adding a branch within the logic to see if that made a difference. Same logic w/ the Epic and what I'm copying the label from. I'm less confident I got this one right... 

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 4.50.34 PM.png

I did rename the 'Epic' issue type name to 'Bets'. I could imagine that goofing some logic. Wanted to call it out here.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

Renaming that field could have done it, as everything else looks correct. 

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2022

+1

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Hi @Ben Kojis,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately your rule isn't quite working the way you might expect it to.   I was looking at the editing of Labels myself and I saw that copy from epic issue is an option.  While I know that parent would seem to make sense here I think you actually want the copy from epic operation instead.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Ben Kojis January 7, 2022

@John Funk - this is a team-managed project.

@Jimmy Seddon - I thought I had tried this earlier. I updated the action to 'copy from Epic' in 2 different manners (see screenshots) and didn't have luck w/ either. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 3.17.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 3.17.43 PM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events