Structure Gantt chart - make duration work off original estimate only

Camille October 16, 2018

Hi there

We are using Structure Gantt for our scheduling.

We currently have tasks that multiple people can log hours into, meaning the duration of the ticket shouldn't be based off "logged hours" but instead just the original estimate.

When two people have logged hours on a task, it elongates the task's duration in the Gantt chart. This is incorrect as their hours are done at the same time.

If I try to manually set the task's scheduling back to original duration estimate, it says:
"Cannot change estimate - Updated Work Estimate cannot be less than Time Spent."

How can I set this so that it only uses the Original Estimate rather than Time Spent?

Is there a better way to use one task with multiple assignees?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2018

Hello Camille,

In your current setup a workaround can be applied for only using Original Estimate for Duration without the consideration of Time Spent. Here is how it can be done:

1. Open a Gantt chart’s configuration, Edit it and switch to the Scheduling tab;
  2. Unselect the ‘Use time tracking’ option and select the ‘Use story points’ option instead;
  3. In the Story Points section select Formula… at the lower part of the list;
  4. Add this formula: if(originalestimate;originalestimate)/3600000 and then click Save and Save Settings.

Please note that in case of using a formula, it is not going to be possible to change Duration on a chart by resizing a task's bar, it will be read-only (but if you change Original Estimate in Jira, Duration on a chart will be readjusted accordingly).

And as for using a multiple assignees for issues - we would suggest splitting issues into several sub-issues, each sub-issue assigned to one user. In this case, there would be no need for a workaround with formula and a sub-issues’s duration on a chart will stay equal to its Original Estimate, regardless of logged work. And if you also select the ‘Treat parent issues as groups’ option in the configuration (the ’Scheduling’ tab as well), it won’t need to have its own duration - it will be taken from its sub-issues’ duration.

Best regards,

Stepan Kholodov

ALM Works

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2022

@Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_  I am interested in possibly using Structure for project planning based on duration, however, in my case, duration and effort are NOT the same.  I need to plan and track duration separately from time tracking, which is used to track billable time.

I have a separate thread set up, but went looking in the community to see if this has been done.  This is the closest I could find.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Whats-the-best-way-to-create-project-plans-that-track-duration/qaq-p/2069457

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 6, 2022

Hello Rob,

David from ALM Works here.  Structure.Gantt allows you to specify what duration, start, end, etc values you want to use to visually represent your tasks on the chart.

If you would like to discuss your use case, and options available through Structure.Gantt, in more detail please feel free to contact us directly at support@almworks.com or through our customer portal support.almworks.com

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,
David

Like Kathryn Vargas _Tempo_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events