Set epic link for newly created issues

Anuj M Kachapati January 7, 2022

I am looking to use Jira automation to create a new epic and stories and set the epic link in the new stories to the newly created epic. 

Basically I have two projects. In project A, I have epics with stories and I am using automation to create a copy of the epic and its stories in project B. I am not sure how to add the epic link in project B through automation. All stories created through automation in project B should link to the epic in project B. 

Looking forward to your suggestions. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2022

Hey @Anuj M Kachapati

Please check the answer I have suggested here if it helps https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-link-the-created-story-in-a-branch-to-an-epic-that-was/qaq-p/1904837

In automation at the part where you are creating stories rite, there you will be having "More Options" pass these code in JSON.

{
    "fields": {
        "Epic Link": "{{issue.key}}"
    }
}

You can try and let me know how it goes, happy to help based on the result you get.

Regards,

Vishwas

Anuj M Kachapati January 10, 2022

Hi Vishwas, 

Thank you for getting back to me. I am able to link the issues to the epic in Project A but I am not sure if the above solution will allow me to link the newly created issues in Project B to the epic in Project B. 

What I've done as a workaround is pass a common key for the epic and it's issues from Project A to Project B and then use the key in Project B to link the issues to the epic.

Thanks for your help again. 

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2022

Hi Anuj,

Send me your automation rule, will simulate and try to get the solution.

Regards,

Anuj M Kachapati January 10, 2022

Appreciate you help Vishwas but I am good with the workaround mentioned above. Thanks though. Have a good day

Like Vishwas likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events