Saving the template and get the error "argument "content" is null"

Reese November 22, 2023

Created a Scaffold FAQ template page, began to fill it out and save the template and get the error "argument "content" is null" - on Confluence 8.5.3 DC. App version 8.29.7.

I put safe mode on to rule out interference from other apps (Scroll Documents, etc) and just had Scaffolding enabled, and had the same result Can't save the template form.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Reese November 25, 2023

App support gave a workaround.

Thank you for reaching out to us! I’m Tomas and I’ll be providing assistance with your request.

Regarding the error you are facing, it is indeed a bug that was introduced due to some changes in Confluence 8.4.1 and above. Our development team has worked with the Atlassian team to address the issue. However as of now to resolve the issue, the Atlassian team has suggested the following workaround:

To implement the workaround, you must update your confluence.cfg.xml file by adding the following line within the <properties> element:

<property name="struts.multipart.maxStringLength">10000</property>

In case you still get the same error after making the above changes, please try to add a higher value (eg. 50000 or 100000) as such a customer reported such behavior.

You will need to restart after making the changes. Hope it helps. :)

Jakub D_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 27, 2023

We have same problems. Can you please share the workaround?

Reese November 27, 2023

I've edited my answer. :)

Patrick Meister
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2024

Hello =) 

any idea if it would cause any harm to go above 100.000?

Reese January 30, 2024

There was some info from Atlassian. Increase incrementally until your issue isn't being hit. Atlassian said increasing it crazily isn't a good idea if it can be avoided.

If you need more info on that I can try and find the Jira issue about it.

Dominik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 20, 2024

For everyone that is facing the same issue, I thought I share this info with everyone:

"We highly discourage using the below workaround as this changes the global limit (includes unauthenticated users) and will heighten the risk of DDoS attacks. If you have previously applied this workaround, please remove it as soon as practical."

Its rather better to use the java parameter "-Dmultipart.authenticated.max.param.length=150000" for example.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events