Possibility to not need to create Toggl Projects?

Bastian Widmer June 20, 2015

We are using Toggl purely for Time Tracking into JIRA. No Reporting or anything else.

But we still have to create Projects in Toggl and map them wit JIRA to have it properly working.

I'm not clear why this is necessary, as the JIRA Issue Number should be unique enough to map the to JIRA Issues.

In my understanding it would be possible to remove the requirement to create Toggl Projects and the mapping? As this creates a lot of hazzle for us and leads to lost time in JIRA.

Thanks a lot.

Michael

3 answers

0 votes
Till June 21, 2015

Hi Michael,

sorry, I was not clear enough: It is a design-decision, not a performance issue.

Joggler assumes that you would want to report the time on the project you are working on. Hence you have to sync the two namespaces (project names in Toggl and project names in Jira) manually once. We believe it is worth the initial effort.

Cheers,

Till

0 votes
Bastian Widmer June 21, 2015

Hi Till

Thanks for your fast reply smile

So I understand that it is a performance issue? So the time to map a Toggle Entry to potential all JIRA Issues is too big? So you minimize the amount of issues that could mach first with having a subset of JIRA Issues only within the project?

It's just the problem of the Process, that a person which creates a new Project in JIRA, has to go to Toggl, create a project, go back to JIRA, map the project before you can start toggl. Also the person that has rights to create a project does not necessarily have the rights to edit Settings of Addons like Toggl.

We're using it since a couple of weeks and it's great, but this issue prevents me from really going into it and fully decide that it is worth the money to put into Joggler.

0 votes
Till June 20, 2015

Hello Michael

Joggler is designed to map JIRA projects to Toggl projects. Typically you have a JIRA project with several issues that you are working on. On each of the Issues, the Joggler Timetracking button is displayed. When you click it, Joggler connects to Toggl and looks up the corresponding Toggle project that is configured in the Joggler settings.

We believe that most development teams have a number of projects that each contains a bunch (potentially a big bunch) of issues. In such a case, the initial minimal overhead to map JIRA to Toggl projects is negligible compared to the amount of time that is tracked on the issues.

Hope this helps,

Till

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events