Please please add component...

Roy Hodges January 23, 2015

Hi,

I think you guys may have missed "Components" as a tagging option, can you add Component to the list of items to tag Toggl entries with? Also, if this is going to be an issue, can we discuss licensing the source code so that our company can modify the code to use a "Project" + "Component" key to map to a Toggle Project? This would be very useful, otherwise we're going to have to roll our own code and perhaps offer it to others as a JIRA Add-On because I know of friends at other companies having similar issues.

3 answers

0 votes
Deleted user January 27, 2015

Hi Roy

Wow, thanks for the detailed specs. I understand what you want and it is certainly possible to implement something like this. My main concern (besides that this project is only costing us money and never pays out) is that joggler will become more and more complicated for none enterprise users to use. The point of toggl is in a way that it is super simple. I doubt that they aim for the enterprise, and maybe neither should we. Can't your accounting create reports in toggl based on the component tag on the time entries? If not, maybe there is something simple missing in toggl preventing the accounting from creating this reports?

Regards

Benno

0 votes
Roy Hodges January 26, 2015

Unfortunately no – what we need is more of a way to associate a project + component in JIRA to a project in Toggl. This allows a single project for a customer or product team to have multiple components the way JIRA was intended – and allows us to map those components to different cost centers etc.

For example, some components have higher costing than others and some components might be attached to separate SOW's. While you could argue that each project with a separate SOW could be ideal, some work uses the same resource pools so each SOW will compete against each other (which is agreed) etc.

I wrote the following story, constraints/acceptance criteria and crude mockup to give an example of what I mean.

Story:

As a project/product manager I want to use a JIRA Project + Component feature and associate each combination thereof with a Toggle Project. This way my Accounting/Finance team can get the reports they need and use and the project, product and engineering teams can use JIRA Projects and components they way they have used them for many years. This also reduces friction between finance and engineering.

Constraints/Acceptance Criteria:

1. User should be able to select "All Components" or a component after selecting a JIRA Project in the Edit Project Mapping Screen.
  2. Default JIRA Component upon editing Project Mapping from a prior version of Joggler should default to All Components
  3. When viewing the list of all mappings, the component mapping should be visible as "All Components" or the component selected.
  4. When syncing, the time worked should update the Toggle Project for the Project + Component.
  5. If multiple of the same project are mapped with different selections for component, the order processed should be Project + Component, Project + All Components. The order for Project + Component should follow the sequence in the mapping (changing order can be added in a future version). Do not map work to multiple Toggle Project.

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 8.07.41 AM.png

0 votes
Deleted user January 25, 2015

Hi Roy

Thanks for your request. The component is already used to tag toggl time entries. Does this not work for you?

Regards

Benno

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events