JEMH - Where to start with configuration?

James Bewley February 27, 2013

Hi,

I'd like to evaluate JEMH for using an support tool with external users. The requirements I have a pretty basic, create a task issue when anybody from anywhere emails support@domain.com and allow the internal team to manage the ticket internally and choose the option to include the external party on a particular comment.

So far I've installed JIRA 5.2 and the JEMH plugin and was hoping it would start doing something out of the box. I followed the brief instructions on the website (recipe 1) but so far haven't got anything working (FYI User -> Add sender as watcher doesn't exist as an option). I am stuggling to find any decent documentation describing how to set this up so any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

James

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

Hi James,

OK, so you know your inbound address, thats easy, just set the catchEmailAddress to 'support@domain.com'. This setting allows JEMH to know what addressees are 'inbound' and not 'external' users.

I'm always working on the Documentation and will certainly help you get set up. Did you follow the two minute tutorial to get something up and running?

I recently added an end-end document that covers setting up a JEMH for 'a' helpdesk configuration, it helps avoid some pitfalls, feedback welcome:

All this really boils down to:

- tell JEMH what your inbound email address is so it can avoid loops

- set a default Project so JEMH knows where to create issues if all else fails (many other ways to pick a project)

- set a default Reporter that has EDIT_ISSU/MANAGE_WATCHERS privileges in the above project for remote email only users

- set a default issueType

The rest of the configuration depends on requirements, happy to advise as needed, there are other communication mech's that may get my attention quicker:

- forum: https://getsatisfaction.com/javahollic/products/javahollic_jira_enterprise_mail_handler

- issues: JEMH JIRA

Thanks for the link, I'm working through the helpdesk-environment-from-scratch document. Some comments are inline the text below:

Create a JIRA User

<< Woudl be useful to have information about setting up the correct permissions for the remote user here

Non-JIRA notifications

1. Set the notification format required (eg TEXT)
  2. Assert Security will stop any comments that have any security level associated with them from being communicated externally to non-JIRA users.
  3. Set the Project KEY of the Helpdesk Project.
  4. << Enter the name of the custom field created earlier into the field named 'CSV email Custom Field' ??
  5. For demonstration, enable (select DEFAULT) all events except ISSUE_CREATED, as the JEMH custom event will be used instead.
  6. NOTE that the custom event has an additional option, the custom TemplateSet created earlier, use that.
  7. Submit the form.

Create a JEMH Profile

Once a basic profile has been created, the following are the minimum changes to make:

1. Project section: enter a Project KEY for the target project (If you have many projects, look at Use Project Mappings) << Does this mean fill in the 'Fallback Project' and 'Fallback Component' fields?

Remote Users Perspective

The remote users perspective contains links to the helpdesk but as they will not be logging in as interactive users it would be better if the mail could be cleaned up to display only what is required (message and issue number).

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

thanks James, reflected/clarified.

1 vote
Rick Balwani September 1, 2014

The TWo minute Quick start link is not working.

Thanks

Abyakta

0 votes
Abyakta Lenka September 1, 2014

The TWo minute Quick start link is not working.

Thanks

Abyakta

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2014

Its an old post, if you go to the JEMH Welcome page, you should find a link that is valid.

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Two+minute+JEMH+quickstart

0 votes

At this stage the mail goes nowhere and the logs say:

Help Desk Help Desk[10001]: No matching catchAddress/jemhAddresseeRegexp for mail.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events