Is there any possibility to move sub-tasks from issue to its clone in automation lite for jira cloud

Bohdan Musiienko June 25, 2018

Basically I want to create the following rule:

1) Manual trigger of the parent ticket

2) Clone of the triggered ticket without subtasks (but with attachments)

3) Check for unclosed sub-tasks in the triggered ticket

4) Movement of unclosed sub-tasks from triggered ticket to cloned ticket 

Right now, I'm able to automate step 1, step 2 (but having issues with cloning attachments), step 3. And I have no idea how to perform step 4.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 vote
Michael Spoonauer May 21, 2020

I'd like to provide some feedback on this feature request.'

This makes a tremendous amount of sense to me.

If you are cloning sub-tasks from a "template" issue when, let's say, you're creating an issue of the same "type", you would want to clone the sub-tasks into your trigger issue.  Not create even more sub-tasks with the same exact contents in the original "template" issue.

I tried adding the following logic at clone time:

{
"fields": {
"parent": "{{triggerIssue.key}}."
}
}

And I got the error "Issue type is a sub-task but parent issue key or id not specified."

I tried also adding the above logic to edit the created issues post-create within the same branch rule, but then I got the error:

"Unknown fields set during edit, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored -
parent"

What's the right way to do this?  I don't want or need the ability to clone sub-tasks to a new project.  But there has to be a way to clone sub-tasks to sit under an issue other than the "template" issue from which I'm cloning.

Michael Spoonauer May 21, 2020

Here's an example of a configuration at a high level:

current_auto_config.png

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2018

Hi Bohdan,

So we don't support cloning attachments in cloud just yet (see https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-162) so this wont be possible yet in Cloud.  In server there's an option to copy attachments now, but this wont help here.

Unfortunately cloning sub-tasks to another parent issue is also something we don't support yet for step 4 since there's no way yet to select a new parent issue when cloning sub-task issue types: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-906

We've got quite a few higher priority items in our backlog at the moment so it will be a while before we can get to this, but we'll let you know when we get a chance to work on this.

Cheers,
Andreas

Bohdan Musiienko June 26, 2018

Okay, thank you for the quick answer.
Additional quick question you might answer, is there a possibility to convert sub-issue to parent?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events